A day in the life

Yesterday was a bit of a crazy day for my subdued schedule. It started off pretty great as Balin dropped the kids off at school after going to Starbucks for a morning latte and treat. I got to sit all alone at home and putz around. I almost - just almost, didn't know what to do with myself. I snapped out of it though and got moving as I had things to do. First I headed to one of the best coffee shops/pubs in town called the Raven. It's a beautiful, funky place that serves great food and coffees during the day and at night it turns into the best wine/beer bar. I swear they have over 100 different kinds of beer with probably 10 on tap. The atmosphere is young and alternative as most of the patrons are Prescott College types. Prescott College is a liberal arts college similar to Reed College in Oregon or Evergreen State in Washington. Needless to say the people are very interesting, liberal (in a conservative town) and fun to talk to. I met Balin at the Raven and we enjoyed a brief date of tea/coffee drinking and good conversation.

From coffee I headed down to White Spar and went for a mountain bike ride. It was as good as I had hoped it would be. There were tons of ups and downs, beautiful vistas, awesome wildflowers. Pretty much what I would expect parts of Heaven to look like. Unfortunately Balin wasn't able to join me as he had meetings to attend but with i-Pod in hand I didn't even notice I was by myself.

The highlight of my day was picking up the kids from school and then meeting with 15 girls from Young Life. We are starting to meet weekly for a time of hanging out and sharing what Jesus is doing in our lives. It was awesome. Kate Hammon shared that she was being taught that she is not to worry. Jesus tells us strongly, many times, we are not to worry. Not to worry about tomorrow, what clothes we're going to wear (how applicable to high school girls) or what you're going to do tomorrow. What amazing advice! How often does worrying rob us of our joy & peace? We discussed that not worrying doesn't mean we should go into "whatever" mode, not caring about anything, rather we need to trust that God's got our back and that we need to live in the now, enjoying what we've been given today. It was a great time and I'm looking forward to our next meeting.

The evening ended with dinner with friends Daniel and Andrea. They are a couple we met at church we are now attending. It was kind of funny when I met them as they were kind of in sleep deprived daze. They too have two kids that are the same age spread as ours, though theirs are just 3 months and 20 months. I jokingly said to them, "give it two years, it does get easier!". They kind of, just kind of, laughed and we introduced ourselves. As we ate dinner, all of us were delighted with the interactions of the children as Sam and Perrin played with and encouraged their daughter Sophia. As Sam went to bed last night, Balin was praising him for the way he loved on Sophia. Sam said, "Dad, can Sophia come over again? Can you call her tonight?". I love it. It's good to enjoy life with friends as it makes the journey that much more enjoyable.

Comments