Heading to Ecuador

I don't have any pictures of the piles of laundry that I faced tonight. Not that it would be that interesting to look at, but it was huge. Balin accused me of being my mother as I ironed the wrinkled masses of napkins, jeans and t-shirts. I have to admit that ironing underwear is where I draw the line - though my mother crosses that boundary weekly. So, I got my ironing done, bags are packed and neatly stacked near the door and I think.....yes, I'm ready to go on the Epic Adventure.

For those of you not familiar with my crazy family travel journeys, this trip may seem out of the ordinary. Who in their right mind takes 3 toddlers (3,4,4) on a trip to South America for a week? My dad. He planned this trip almost 2 years ago thinking that of all the places he's been, the Galapagos is one of the most amazing. He so wanted to take his grandkids (ages 3, 4, 4, 11, 12, 16) to see the iguanas, giant tortoises, blue footed boobies - an experience that they hopefully would never forget. (I know I probably won't forget the airplane ride!)

Last week though my dad suffered some heart problems that landed him in the hospital and he has had to cancel his plans to travel with us to the Galapogos. Currently my mother and he are in the hospital in Phoenix where they performed an ablation on his heart. It was successful and it seems to have fixed the problem (thank the Lord) and hopefully he's on the mend. Meanwhile, the kids are still heading out tomorrow for the islands without the parents. We will miss them dearly but we promise to have a good time reguardless. I told dad we will document every possible event with either video or photography so he'll experience all the positive and hopefully we'll be able to edit all the negative. (I'm sure there will be a few meltdowns by the kiddos.)

So stay tuned - hopefully I'll get a chance to chronicle our adventures as they occur. Till then...

Comments