Christmas in Prescott started long before December this year. I was given a great website by a good friend called "organizedchristmas.com". It had lists upon lists as to make sure that all aspects of Christmas were covered. Starting in October, I sewed, collected, wrapped and documented what I had gotten as gifts. I had the kids paint wrapping paper, make a garland for the tree and make ornaments. (The garland was strips of paper that we wrote what we were thankful for and then linked them together. It was a great positive discipline tool too!) My goal was to be finished with shopping for gifts by December 1 and I almost made it. Unfortunately I suffered amnesia when I was in Target and bought "stuff" almost as a addict buys their vice. As we were going through the aftermath on Christmas day, it was clear that next year I will be more diligent in my efforts to "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle". Who knows maybe I'll get everything from the second hand store.


Perrin with her "Peter".


Peter, Balin and Jack playing a game of Magick.

It's never too cold for a little gardening.
Leading up the the Holidays was really relaxing and for the most part enjoyable. I felt because I had gotten the Christmas preperations under control early that I would host a coctail party for friends. It turned out great because 2 other friends helped by bringing food and my friend Kelly graciously opened her beautiful home. We had a great night hanging out, drinking chocolate martini's and talking to midnight. Both Balin and I agree that we are not night people anymore (was I ever?) and that we have a bedtime of 10pm for a reason. Not only did we hang out late, but when we got home my nephews Peter and Jack (who were watching the kids) wanted to finish watching Lord of the Rings...poor Balin had to drive them home afterwards. :)
We continued to have our small group from church, http://www.harvest.org/, meet at our house throughout December. We are about 5 couples with 11 kids, which can get a little chaotic. So we have 2 babysitters come every Sunday night for 2 hours and the adults escape with their cup of coffee to the "Shop" where we are able to talk without interruption. We didn't appreciate this service they provided nearly as much before last weekend, when the girls had to leave suddenly to an emergency. I love my sitters. They are part of the group I went to Beyond Malibu this summer and they are truly beautiful young women. Two in particular have been babysitting for 3 months now and we've grown very close to them. The emergency that called them away was the suicide of one of their mothers. The mom was depressed and severely sleep deprived - it is tragic and has really rocked our community here in Prescott. She was a mom that everyone thought of as their mom - she loved having everyone over, took care of other people's kids, knew all their friends joy & troubles. She was a great mom. She will be sorely missed by so many people in this community.
The following Monday I invited the girls, 15 of them, to spend the night at my house and try to make sense of the tragedy. It was a good time of tears, laughter, food and chick flicks. I'm glad that we were able to open our home to this group of girls as they grieve.
The remaining days of the Christmas week was spent hanging out with the kids, cleaning/decluttering the house and enjoying the family. Balin has been furiously working as his work load has been overwhelming. He took Christmas day off but is looking forward to getting cracking again tomorrow morning.

Christmas Eve we spent at my parents house having a yummy turkey dinner, doing dishes and then going through presents. I think everyone agreed that one of the best parts of doing Christmas at Grandma's house is that it's only 5 minutes from home. By 7pm Sam said "It's time to go home, I'm tired." I don't think my dad was too disappointed.

Comments