San Miguel de Allende






Hola amigos! Estoy en Mexico! Es muy bonita aqui! We'll stop while we're ahead! We arrived on Saturday night after a long day of travel. We left Prescott around 7:30 am arrived in LA, took a plane to Mexico City and finally a three hour car ride to San Miguel de Allende. It was a pretty flawless journey though about an hour into the car ride Perrin started in with "Are we there yet?". I really didn't realize how incredibly annoying that little phrase can be when you're in the middle of no where. Actually, the other phrase that is incredibly annoying in the middle of no where is "I HAVE TO GO POTTY....NOW!!!" Of course the automatic response is, "I just asked you at the restaurant if you had to go potty...and you said NO!". It was dark out, we were on a major freeway and we had to pull over to let Sam go potty. Fun. Thank goodness that was the worst that happened so I can't complain.

Sunday we got aquainted with our hosts, Arnesto and Marina, and the town of San Miguel de Allende. Our hosts are in their 60's with 4 grown children and are wonderful. He works for the city and she brings money in by hosting students. They are incredibly patient and speak wonderfully slow so it's been a pleasure thus far to be welcomed into their home. We have two rooms upstairs and we share meals with the family. Translate: I don't have to cook - AT ALL! What a vacation. Marina's daughter-in-law has agreed to watch our children while we are at school for the next two weeks and we are thrilled. Sandra has two daughters, one who loves Dora. Her name is Fernanda and she and Perrin hit it off, even if they couldn't understand one another. Dora is an international mediator!

Our first day of school was today and I think Balin and I are both full. The school teaches entirely in spanish, which is good. The problem of course is if you day dream for just a moment, you're lost. It takes a lot of work to think, I'm not used to it. :) We got homework today and both Balin and I need to practice our verb conjugation. The best part of not knowing any spanish is that by the time we leave here we should be far better off than when we started. At least that's our hope.

The town of San Miguel de Allende is really pretty. There are a couple of cathedrals around the old part of town and they are pretty magnificant. The main square is gorgeous and so fun to hang out on. We got both ice creams and coffees on two separate occasions on the square. It reminds me a lot of Spain. Unfortunately, like Spain, you can't see into the gardens since they are walled off and have something of a inner courtyard effect. Peeking through walls has become one of my favorite pasttimes as well as going into stores as you get a peek into the hidden gardens.

Well, we just had lunch and we need to get the kids down for a siesta before they hurt each other. Balin is also wanting to use his computer as he's got work to do. :) I'll post more tomorrow.

Comments