So, I was telling this story today to someone and I thought, I need to put that on my blog so I don't forget it. Plus it's kind of funny/sad.
One day, the kids and I had to run out to Chino Valley and for some reason we decided to take all the dogs: Stanley, Buddy and Stretch. We piled into the Suburban and were happily on our way. It was a warm spring day so on the way home we decided to roll down the windows and let the dogs hang their heads out. Buddy was on my lap, Stanley was in the way back with no windows and Stretch was on Perrin's lap. Stretch, in her innocence of Puppiness, was reaching out the window until all that was in the car was her back paws. Perrin happened to be wearing shorts that day, so Stretches nails were digging into her little legs. Being in the Suburban the windows roll all the way down and they are huge windows. A kid could easily fall out the window...or a dog. I was looking back at the kids as I was driving 50 mph down Williamson Valley road when all of a sudden I see Stretch "fly" out the window. I immediately slammed on the breaks and did a u-turn all the while saying "Oh-My-Gosh! Stretch fell out the window." Dang dog, she got a little carried a way with hanging out the window and fell out. As I looked out the rear window, I saw Stretch hit the ground and do a couple of rolls. She got up and was not quite walking down the road with a sick look on her face.
We got turned around and I was able to get out and call Stretch to me and thankfully she ran into my arms. She seemed fine and we got back in the car. She sat on the floor all the way home and was a little sulky. I kept an eye on her the rest of the day to make sure that she was okay and she seemed to rebound just fine.
Perrin's response to this whole incidence was very interesting. She became very quiet when I asked her what happened. In fact she didn't say anything but, "I don't want Stretch anymore, she's broken", which is her usual response when one of the family gets seriously injured. (My dad's heart incidence, my thumb being cut off, etc) I think it was two or three days later when I was talking to Perrin about something non-related to the "Stretch-out-the-window-incidence" when she innocently told me that "Stretch didn't fall out the window Mom, I pushed her out". When I asked her why she said, "I didn't want her on my lap anymore". Yikes. Of course we debriefed and thought of solutions for getting Stretch off her lap that didn't include pushing her out the window.
Stretch and Perrin have made up since then and are still good friends. But man do I feel sorry for that little pooch. :)
One day, the kids and I had to run out to Chino Valley and for some reason we decided to take all the dogs: Stanley, Buddy and Stretch. We piled into the Suburban and were happily on our way. It was a warm spring day so on the way home we decided to roll down the windows and let the dogs hang their heads out. Buddy was on my lap, Stanley was in the way back with no windows and Stretch was on Perrin's lap. Stretch, in her innocence of Puppiness, was reaching out the window until all that was in the car was her back paws. Perrin happened to be wearing shorts that day, so Stretches nails were digging into her little legs. Being in the Suburban the windows roll all the way down and they are huge windows. A kid could easily fall out the window...or a dog. I was looking back at the kids as I was driving 50 mph down Williamson Valley road when all of a sudden I see Stretch "fly" out the window. I immediately slammed on the breaks and did a u-turn all the while saying "Oh-My-Gosh! Stretch fell out the window." Dang dog, she got a little carried a way with hanging out the window and fell out. As I looked out the rear window, I saw Stretch hit the ground and do a couple of rolls. She got up and was not quite walking down the road with a sick look on her face.
We got turned around and I was able to get out and call Stretch to me and thankfully she ran into my arms. She seemed fine and we got back in the car. She sat on the floor all the way home and was a little sulky. I kept an eye on her the rest of the day to make sure that she was okay and she seemed to rebound just fine.
Perrin's response to this whole incidence was very interesting. She became very quiet when I asked her what happened. In fact she didn't say anything but, "I don't want Stretch anymore, she's broken", which is her usual response when one of the family gets seriously injured. (My dad's heart incidence, my thumb being cut off, etc) I think it was two or three days later when I was talking to Perrin about something non-related to the "Stretch-out-the-window-incidence" when she innocently told me that "Stretch didn't fall out the window Mom, I pushed her out". When I asked her why she said, "I didn't want her on my lap anymore". Yikes. Of course we debriefed and thought of solutions for getting Stretch off her lap that didn't include pushing her out the window.
Stretch and Perrin have made up since then and are still good friends. But man do I feel sorry for that little pooch. :)
Comments