Get 'Er Done

My favorite picture of my little redneck husband - drinking a Bud.





Check this guy out - hopefully Sam won't want to be a rodeo star.


Did you know that Prescott has the oldest Rodeo in the country? I had heard about it, but had yet to experience it. I guess it's a pretty big deal and these boys (and some women) that come to Prescott to rodeo are pretty good. As you can imagine it's a whole new world for me being in a small town that has cowboys.


Sam did like it even though you can't tell by this picture.


Perrin kept asking "are these the bulls?"


Balin asked a couple of weeks ago if we wanted to go to the rodeo as the bank had seats. I said sure - not knowing what to expect. I was thinking we'd stay for a little while until the kids were bored - or I was bored and then we'd go. I was WRONG. The rodeo is right in town and so we got there found our seats and then headed to find some food. Since the bank gave us the tickets it also included a free lunch buffet and drinks. We got loaded up and then headed to our seats with our hosts Veronica and her family.
The event started out with a bunch of women on horses carrying flags around the stadium. Then there was a woman carrying the American Flag on her horse around the stadium to a Johnny Cash song. I have to admit, I haven't felt that patriotic in a long time, so much so it almost brought me to tears. (It's the American small town thing I guess - or PMS) We all stood to sing the national anthem and then to bow our heads as a rather long prayer was given. (I guess the editorials in the local paper had some backlash on that once since not everyone appreciates some good 'ole religion in a public setting.) After the flag, two of the cutest girls came riding out and low and behold it was Alex and Jordan Anderson. They are from a family in town and Alex came to the Campaigners group I was a part of and Jordan babysat for my sitter for years. It was so cool to see people you know in the rodeo; I was very proud. (It was a proud day all in all)
Perrin, Sam, Balin and I all sat mesmorized for the next 3 hours as event after event rolled by. We were in awe of those buckin' broncos as they are some crazy fools to get on those horses. Perrin kept asking for the bull riding - though it wasn't nearly as exciting as the broncos. We cheered the cowboys as they tried to beat the clock and stay on animals that didn't really want them on them. We cheered the cowboys and they walked through the foot of mud in the arena. We gave those boys some "hometown hospitality" that you can only get in a town like Prescott. It was a great time and I'm looking forward to doing it again next year. If any one wants to join us, we'd love to have ya and show 'ya some small town hospitality.

Comments