I don't know if anybody remembers, but a couple of years ago I asked people to plant a few extra rows of vegetables for the food pantries and homeless shelters. I figure if everybody did a little extra, then everyone would have enough. I've seen this idea grow nationally the past couple of years and it seems to be making a dent in the hunger problem in America.
This past year I heard a rumor about a church located in town was going to use their very large property to grow food for the food bank. I tried on various occasions to get a hold of someone at this church with no luck. One day I was discussing this idea with a fellow MOPS mom, who happens to be the pastors wife of another church, and she caught the vision. She went home and told her husband about it. A couple of days later they recieved a call from a woman in their congregation who has 5 or so fenced, irrigated acres in Chino Valley that she wanted to have help growing food on to feed the local people in need. Amazing. The timing was impeccable. (I am constantly amazed that when God wants something to happen, he totally makes it happen without a lot of agony and painful prodding. Love it)
Kelli, the pastors wife involved with MOPS, jumped on the opportunity calling in all interested volunteers to participate. There has been an amazing turnout of people who are excited to give of their time, resources and expertise. In one day the fields were plowed, manured and ready for planting. Another day yielded two fields planted and irrigated. Now we are reaping the harvest and bringing in 10 bags a day of various produce to bless people. It's so great.
I've been taking the produce I pick to a church called "Church on the Street". Other than seeing their slightly dilapitated building downtown and the dishelved men hanging around, I had no previous interaction with this group of people. One morning I decided to drop off the 30 or so zuchinnis, (I always feel like apologizing when I give someone so many zuchinnis...what in the world is someone going to do with that much squash?) and met several of the men involved in this church. They were the gentlest, kindest men and they were so incredibly helpful. They were the first group to ask, "Do you need help harvesting this stuff?". I was incredulous and excited at their appreciation. One fellow asked if he could pray for me and I said, "Of course!". It was touching and meaningful. I'm hoping we can organize a cleanup and second planting in the coming weeks with the fellows from Church on the Street - it would be meaningful to both parties I reckon.
One of the other huge benefits of doing this community garden is that I am not in charge. Kelli organizes things and make sure plants get watered and picked, but for the most part everyone participates without a ton of supervision. Yet at the same time there is community that is bonding and strong throughout this project. It's been such a great experience and blessing that I am excited to participate next year.

This past year I heard a rumor about a church located in town was going to use their very large property to grow food for the food bank. I tried on various occasions to get a hold of someone at this church with no luck. One day I was discussing this idea with a fellow MOPS mom, who happens to be the pastors wife of another church, and she caught the vision. She went home and told her husband about it. A couple of days later they recieved a call from a woman in their congregation who has 5 or so fenced, irrigated acres in Chino Valley that she wanted to have help growing food on to feed the local people in need. Amazing. The timing was impeccable. (I am constantly amazed that when God wants something to happen, he totally makes it happen without a lot of agony and painful prodding. Love it)
Kelli, the pastors wife involved with MOPS, jumped on the opportunity calling in all interested volunteers to participate. There has been an amazing turnout of people who are excited to give of their time, resources and expertise. In one day the fields were plowed, manured and ready for planting. Another day yielded two fields planted and irrigated. Now we are reaping the harvest and bringing in 10 bags a day of various produce to bless people. It's so great.
I've been taking the produce I pick to a church called "Church on the Street". Other than seeing their slightly dilapitated building downtown and the dishelved men hanging around, I had no previous interaction with this group of people. One morning I decided to drop off the 30 or so zuchinnis, (I always feel like apologizing when I give someone so many zuchinnis...what in the world is someone going to do with that much squash?) and met several of the men involved in this church. They were the gentlest, kindest men and they were so incredibly helpful. They were the first group to ask, "Do you need help harvesting this stuff?". I was incredulous and excited at their appreciation. One fellow asked if he could pray for me and I said, "Of course!". It was touching and meaningful. I'm hoping we can organize a cleanup and second planting in the coming weeks with the fellows from Church on the Street - it would be meaningful to both parties I reckon.
One of the other huge benefits of doing this community garden is that I am not in charge. Kelli organizes things and make sure plants get watered and picked, but for the most part everyone participates without a ton of supervision. Yet at the same time there is community that is bonding and strong throughout this project. It's been such a great experience and blessing that I am excited to participate next year.
Comments