Perin loves her new haircut

Sam the hairdresser.
Perrin in her new "do".

In Perrin's perspective, her haircut is great. She loves it out of her eyes, it doesn't take long to wash and best of all she doesn't have to have it blow dried and she gets gel in it.

I can't help but feel a little funny though when we go out in public. I keep saying, "her brother cut it" but really does it matter? So she wants to have a short haircut? What is our obsession with long hair as women? Somehow we think that if our hair is long we are beautiful and young.

I remember when I was in 8th grade I decided to give myself a haircut, with the dog clippers. I had somewhat long hair, past my ears, and I wanted to have "Boz" cuts in the side. Interesting I know. As many of you already know you have to have a shaved head to have marks in your scalp, so I cut one side of my hair really short. I went out and asked my sister what she thought and she smirked and said, "I think you should cut it all off!" So I did. At least half of it. It was a little strange looking, but hey it was the 80's. The most interesting thing was the reaction from people, including my mom. She said, "I don't know if I can go out in public with you". My friends thought I was a little strange, but after a little while I stopped caring. I've found that I've always battled with body image, not in a "Oh my gosh, I have to look just so" (as many of you know about my days without showers) but more in a way of how can I forget about how I look. In the most recent years I've decided that I should just get a good color and cut and then I can forget about my hair and what it looks like. But I'm still tempted regularly to shave my head and call it good.

Comments