Prescott made the national news

Did anyone see that Prescott got it's notoriety this week by banning the viewing of Obama's speech in the classrooms? Yes, I am a resident of this INCREDIBLY conservative community and I have to say it's making me more liberal.

Currently I'm listening to Obama's speech and I can tell you that there is nothing offensive or controversial about it. Rather it's encouraging, inspiring and relative to the issues that face todays students. He tells students that they need to work hard and persevere in their education if they are going to be the people who will live their dreams.

As I was listening, I couldn't help but think that Obama's words could very well be the tipping point for many students. Having worked with high school kids for over 10 years, I feel like such encouragement is desperately needed. Who is speaking into the lives of our kids? Many people are; some negative, some positive. Obama was definitely a positive message to all who were able to hear it.

In regards to living in a town that censors messages from the President in classrooms, well, we might be looking for greener pastures in the future.

Comments