Here are a bunch of random photos, from various activities that we had participated in during the last week. I just got home from being in the Walk Through Bethlehem, which is a live depiction of Bethlehem on the night that Jesus was born. Real people, real animals and a real baby Jesus. And I'm real tired. It was fun to participate but it was tiring. I'm having to agree with Sam here lately, that we're doing too much. With school, seasonal activities, Spanish, playing, living and being a family - it takes time, sometimes too much. Last night the kids and Balin went to craft night at the preschool, got home at 8, bed at 8:30. Today was school, Spanish, Walk through Bethlehem, home at 6, dinner.....ugh, not the way I like life. So, I've been reading some wonderful theories on education and am feeling somewhat aligned with different philosophies.
The biography I'm currently reading is about Kurt Hahn, the founder of Outward Bound, International Baccalaureate and a couple of boarding schools. One thought that he had and adheared to in his teachings, were the abstaining of organized team sports until the age of 13 and at that sports were limited to two times a week. "We find the boy and girl of six hardly ever bored by empty hours. We find them forever dreaming, planning, building, discovering, asking singing and making-believe. Then suddenly all that stops together. The child home for the holidays does not know what to do with himself. Why? Organized games have begun too early. They do not neccesarily damage the dreamer who takes refuge from the games in a safe and secret corner of his own. They damage the boy athlete who is thrilled by his football experiences and lured away from his own creative passions till one day they are no longer capable of revival." I thought that was an interesting thought and observation. (Not that I'm anti-sport, it's just that I think we as Americans are a little obsessed with making sure our children have "all the opportunities available. More on that in another blog post.)
I must go to bed now, even though it's only 7:30. Another day awaits and I've got to be well rested for it. Have a great night.
Comments