What is that smell?





Perrin at school.
Sam in action at school on the playground.

Sam runnin round and round with his friends.

Sam and Grandpa of the Woods at breakfast in Tuscon.




Uncle Charlie and Pepe.




If you have dogs, you'll know what I'm talking about here. We got home from Tuscon about 10pm Sunday night and as I'm carrying in Perrin from the car to her room, the worst smell assaults me and I almost throw up. What is that?

After pausing a moment to think about the possible causes, I pegged it; Stanley. Dog farts. The whole house smelled like nasty dog farts. So gross! Here's what I was able to piece together. Usually Stan gets 1 cup of food in the morning and 1 at night, which he inhales. I forgot to mention this to the dog sitter and in her kindness, she gave the dogs I don't know how much. All I know is that when my mom came by around 5 she found the dogs bowls filled with food - which means that they had already eaten their fill and were no longer hungry. By the time I got home at 10 there was still food in the bowls, which means that the dogs must have seriously had a ton of food. Hence the stench. Stanley's stomach was probably giving him troubles, which in turn gave us all troubles. In the morning I found diarrhea everywhere outside. I won't forget instructions again.

So that was one dog's problem. Stretch didn't get let in the house when she wanted to and so she ripped off the dining room screen from the outside and pretty much trashed it. And there was a newly covered pillow sitting in the driveway. I'm not sure what we're going to do with that dog. She's been great as long as we're hanging out with her, but as soon as we're gone for more than a couple of hours - she starts chewing. Any suggestions?

The kids and I headed down to Tuscon this weekend to surprise Balin's dad and hang out with Charlie and Danielle, Balin's littlest brother. (not so little actually) The kids did great and were so excited to be with their family! We had a yummy dinner together at a Japanese restaurant where Sam and Charlie ate a couple rolls of sushi between them. Perrin was happy just to be around Aunt Danielle. I told Danielle that it's pretty special for Perrin to hang out with her as all her other aunts have their own kids. Perrin ended up sleeping with Charlie and Danielle that night in their room while Sam bunked down with Grandpa. Yes, that meant I went to bed all by myself at 9pm and slept in until 7:30. It was delicious.

The next day we had breakfast together and then the Strickler's headed off for the Rock & Gem show while the kids and I went to the Sonoran Desert Museum. It was gorgeous out at a balmy 72 degrees, which made for a beautiful day for a picnic and play time. We met up briefly with some friends that had moved from Prescott to Sierra Vista, but due to timing, my kids melted before we got a chance to really enjoy spending time with one another. Then we headed back to say goodbye to Granpa and pick up Charlie and Danielle for dinner. We headed for a drive to the Sonoran National Forest/Park and then ended up at a yummy mexican restaurant for dinner. By 6:00 we were on the road to head back to Prescott. It was a good trip, albeit a bit long, but we'd do it again in a heartbeat for the chance to hang out with family.

One of the lessons I learned from this weekend was that once again it's not so easy to travel by myself with the kids. This trip was relatively uncomplicated, but when I get tired there is no one there to relieve me. I'm on all the time. That is good to remember as I am at home hanging out and thinking about camping, road trips, etc. I have to say that it's not really a good idea at this point and I'm not sure if it's a good idea in the future either. It wouldn't be so bad with friends, but of course the best option is to go with my husband. Though, he's been going and will be going so much that he'll probably want to just stay home. I'm good with that. For now. (Pictures coming tomorrow- going to bed now...)

Comments