Balin spent last week working in Seattle and got home on Saturday. When asked if he missed living there he laughed and said "No!" in that funny way he does. He said it was quite enjoyable to be stuck in traffic, in the rain, because those are two things he does not have to deal with in our little town of Prescott. Granted, on Friday we had a couple of inches of snow at our house -and it was raining on Thursday, but he wasn't here for it. (Yes - I am thankful for my greenhouse) He enjoyed his time in Seattle but was happy to come home.
Sam, Perrin and I picked him up at the airport and whisked him away to a Scottsdale resort that was just lovely. I got a deal (thanks Kelly) for $79 at the Hyatt Regency resort for Saturday night. We left the snow in Prescott and enjoyed 85 degrees an hour later. It was heaven. We ordered treats, a yummy foofoo drink for both of us, and sat by the pool as the kids swam, played with other kids and had a great time. We left the resort and headed out to Mexican food for dinner and then we all fell asleep by 8:30 that night. The next day we went to breakfast and then made our way to the pool for a couple hours. It was perfect. By 1:00 the kids were ready to be out of the sun so we packed up and headed home. We were home by 3:00 and making dinner by 4.
Both Balin and I agreed that it was the perfect solution to his travel schedule and our need for family time. So we're going to do it again next Wednesday. Balin's currently in Columbia for the next week working hard so I can have another one of those foofoo drinks by the pool.
Meanwhile, back in the garden....it seems every spring my yard gets bigger and bigger. I about had it today and wanted to get rid of the whole stinkin' place. Everything is green and just about to bloom, but dang if the upkeep doesn't make me tired. I have to drive by the 5 tons of decomposed granite I had delivered on Saturday and then look at the russian sage that is screaming for a haircut. (Obviously no one else hears it scream or else surely they would come by and cut the dang stuff down!) When I look out my front door I see the 20' trailer piled high with yard debris knowing that I can't take it away quite yet as there is more that needs to be dumped in there - mainly all the oak leaves that are falling and making something akin to snow drifts next to my plants. Of course the thrips are in full reproductive swing as are the aphids - but I'm going all naturel this year and am going to let them have sex all they want. If they destroy a plant - it's gone. I'm done trying to control it. After all this is the "Wild West" and my guns are not big enough.
Speaking of guns - I've been working on mine. Maybe that's why I'm tired and cranky. I've been going to the Crossfit gym here in town and getting my butt kicked - 3 days a week of voluntary pain. Yesterday we did something called Man Makers - a combined burpee, row and shoulder press - that I think should really be called Woman Killers. Seriously. Not pretty. Then I got on the scale and I had actually gained weight! Yeah, nice! The redeeming moment was when I unburied a set of measurements I took back a year and a half ago. I was shrinking in all the right places. I lost a couple of inches in my waist, arms, hips - thankfully not my boobs. So I'm feeling motivated to keep up the work. One day at a time as my dad always said.
Speaking of my dad - he's okay. Nothing new to report. He's having a hard time mentally being confined to a bed and not having a ton of interaction. My brother went home last week and I think my dad really misses him. He was/is really good to my dad and it was so nice to have the extra help. I've been trying to get over there at least once a day but it's difficult getting everyone there happily. Sam is coming over willingly though as dad got an iPad which has pinball on it. Sam loves to play it while I visit with dad. Perrin has taken a fancy towards fresh flower arrangements. She goes straight into her room and gets her scissors and goes into Grandma's garden. She's made some gorgeous bouquets and I hope that she is nurturing a love of flowers. She would be the 4th generation of Peterson women who loved gardening.
Best go and get some sleep as the kids have been getting up before 6am consistently. I hope that maybe tomorrow will be a new day and they'll both sleep in. I can't even fathom having a child that doesn't sleep through the night - how did I survive all those years of interrupted sleep? I am truly, truly thankful for long nights and lazy mornings.
Sam, Perrin and I picked him up at the airport and whisked him away to a Scottsdale resort that was just lovely. I got a deal (thanks Kelly) for $79 at the Hyatt Regency resort for Saturday night. We left the snow in Prescott and enjoyed 85 degrees an hour later. It was heaven. We ordered treats, a yummy foofoo drink for both of us, and sat by the pool as the kids swam, played with other kids and had a great time. We left the resort and headed out to Mexican food for dinner and then we all fell asleep by 8:30 that night. The next day we went to breakfast and then made our way to the pool for a couple hours. It was perfect. By 1:00 the kids were ready to be out of the sun so we packed up and headed home. We were home by 3:00 and making dinner by 4.
Both Balin and I agreed that it was the perfect solution to his travel schedule and our need for family time. So we're going to do it again next Wednesday. Balin's currently in Columbia for the next week working hard so I can have another one of those foofoo drinks by the pool.
Meanwhile, back in the garden....it seems every spring my yard gets bigger and bigger. I about had it today and wanted to get rid of the whole stinkin' place. Everything is green and just about to bloom, but dang if the upkeep doesn't make me tired. I have to drive by the 5 tons of decomposed granite I had delivered on Saturday and then look at the russian sage that is screaming for a haircut. (Obviously no one else hears it scream or else surely they would come by and cut the dang stuff down!) When I look out my front door I see the 20' trailer piled high with yard debris knowing that I can't take it away quite yet as there is more that needs to be dumped in there - mainly all the oak leaves that are falling and making something akin to snow drifts next to my plants. Of course the thrips are in full reproductive swing as are the aphids - but I'm going all naturel this year and am going to let them have sex all they want. If they destroy a plant - it's gone. I'm done trying to control it. After all this is the "Wild West" and my guns are not big enough.
Speaking of guns - I've been working on mine. Maybe that's why I'm tired and cranky. I've been going to the Crossfit gym here in town and getting my butt kicked - 3 days a week of voluntary pain. Yesterday we did something called Man Makers - a combined burpee, row and shoulder press - that I think should really be called Woman Killers. Seriously. Not pretty. Then I got on the scale and I had actually gained weight! Yeah, nice! The redeeming moment was when I unburied a set of measurements I took back a year and a half ago. I was shrinking in all the right places. I lost a couple of inches in my waist, arms, hips - thankfully not my boobs. So I'm feeling motivated to keep up the work. One day at a time as my dad always said.
Speaking of my dad - he's okay. Nothing new to report. He's having a hard time mentally being confined to a bed and not having a ton of interaction. My brother went home last week and I think my dad really misses him. He was/is really good to my dad and it was so nice to have the extra help. I've been trying to get over there at least once a day but it's difficult getting everyone there happily. Sam is coming over willingly though as dad got an iPad which has pinball on it. Sam loves to play it while I visit with dad. Perrin has taken a fancy towards fresh flower arrangements. She goes straight into her room and gets her scissors and goes into Grandma's garden. She's made some gorgeous bouquets and I hope that she is nurturing a love of flowers. She would be the 4th generation of Peterson women who loved gardening.
Best go and get some sleep as the kids have been getting up before 6am consistently. I hope that maybe tomorrow will be a new day and they'll both sleep in. I can't even fathom having a child that doesn't sleep through the night - how did I survive all those years of interrupted sleep? I am truly, truly thankful for long nights and lazy mornings.
Comments