Today started out beautifully. Perrin was up at 5:30 and we snuggled in bed as she wasn't feeling very good. I got her breakfast in bed and then headed out with my coffee to spend time with God and the garden. Perrin then headed to her favorite place, the hot tub, while Sam slept in until 8am. He too wanted to go in the hot tub, so I putzed around the back yard garden while he relaxed in the tub.
I was underneath Sam's window, which is near the hot tub, and noticed a retched smell as well as flies everywhere. Great, something died. Then I heard a little squeaking noise. What could that be? Maybe the kids would get pet mice as it sounded like baby mice. The noise and smell was coming from underneath the deck, a place that was not accessible from my perspective. So what does any woman do that has any sense of adventure? I got out the saws-all and the crow bar and started going at the deck. (it didn't end up looking to bad and I'm sure my fix it husband can put the deck back together...when he gets home) 20 minutes later I found the cause. A cat. GROSS! She had crawled under the deck and then given birth to three babies. I picked up the kittens, who are probably only a day or so old and took them into the house to be fed. Then I had to do something about that rotting cat. So I called my friend Chad, who's a fireman and is used to all sorts of gross things. Unfortunately for me he wasn't home. I "girded up my loins" and wrapped a hanky around my nose (securely fastened with clothes pins, a trick I learned when changing dirty diapers as a teenager) and got that poor momma cat out of there.
I was underneath Sam's window, which is near the hot tub, and noticed a retched smell as well as flies everywhere. Great, something died. Then I heard a little squeaking noise. What could that be? Maybe the kids would get pet mice as it sounded like baby mice. The noise and smell was coming from underneath the deck, a place that was not accessible from my perspective. So what does any woman do that has any sense of adventure? I got out the saws-all and the crow bar and started going at the deck. (it didn't end up looking to bad and I'm sure my fix it husband can put the deck back together...when he gets home) 20 minutes later I found the cause. A cat. GROSS! She had crawled under the deck and then given birth to three babies. I picked up the kittens, who are probably only a day or so old and took them into the house to be fed. Then I had to do something about that rotting cat. So I called my friend Chad, who's a fireman and is used to all sorts of gross things. Unfortunately for me he wasn't home. I "girded up my loins" and wrapped a hanky around my nose (securely fastened with clothes pins, a trick I learned when changing dirty diapers as a teenager) and got that poor momma cat out of there.
The kids of course were THRILLED to have their very own kittens! Meow, meow they went for over an hour until I figured out how and what to feed them. Perrin named hers Sally and Sam named the other two Buttercup and Cheez-it. (His favorite snack that I never buy...how'd it get to be his favorite?) Perrin reminded me of the kid in Dumb and Dumber that kept petting the parakeet - poor little kitten. She wanted to love and play with the kittens so much but I had
When we called Balin his first reaction was "no way". I laughed at him and said, "that's right, no way are you going to tell Sam and Perrin they can't keep the kittens that they already adore." When I talked to him later that night he had conceded and said we could keep the cats - though I think my friend Anna will take one of them as long as she can surprise her husband. (Her husband loves me and all the adventures I talk his wife into!)
We were a little worried about Stretch as she loves to hunt and kill things - and these little meowers had been tormenting her all day. When she finally got the opportunity to see the little kitties she just licked them. I thought that was a good sign and good for the kittens so I had Stretch lay down. Then I took Cheez-it and Buttercup and put them near Stretch, like she was their mommy. The kitties ran to Stretch and her belly and then started trying to nurse. Stretch jumped up and ran away - she wanted nothing to do with nursing babies! I get it Stretch - I wouldn't want them chewing on me either.
So, now I write in bed and am happy to say the little guys are asleep at the foot of my bed. I don't think they'll sleep through the night so tomorrow might be a rough day. Best get to bed.
Comments