Two weeks ago I had a moment of "am I going to be doing this the rest of summer?". I was literally going from room, to outside, back inside cleaning up after children. Yikes. Of course I should just let it accumulate but having "stuff" everywhere really messes up my sense of peace. The kids just had time to play all week and of course make messes. One of the messes I came into was the kitchen where they had gotten a hold of the window paint (I think the box says use under supervision) and they had literally painted the whole sliding glass door and paint was dripping into the cracks and onto the floor. Ahhh....summer.
The next week we tried a different tactic for summer - Vacation Bible School in the morning and Golf Camp in the afternoon. We weren't home much but boy they didn't make many messes. :) I volunteered every morning at VBS, which made it difficult for us to skip it. VBS was great and the kids loved it. They sing the songs on the CD, dance around and do funny hand motions. They loved spending time with their friends and even met a few new ones. Golf camp was great too and Sam in particular was super-dooper excited. Perrin went along for the ride and did alright herself, though I wouldn't be surprised if she passed on it next year. Both kids enjoy putting and chipping and probably know more than me at this point. By Friday though the kids were done with being so busy. We skipped golf camp and stayed home instead. It was very nice.
We officially have nothing on the calendar except family camp in July, before Sam's school starts. I'm really looking forward to going on adventures with friends, having people over for dinner and just being spontaneous. Today we took an hour to get all the bikes tuned up and stuffed into the Jetta - with much frustration and ultimately failure. Instead of driving somewhere to ride bikes we headed over to the trails across the street with Perrin on the Alley Cat and Sam on his own bike. Balin and I got our mountain bikes out and rode with them. It was so much fun and life giving. Both Balin and I have waited years for these types of events and we're really enjoying them. Tomorrow we're headed off to Clear Creek to do a little backpacking (1 mile) to the river and then we'll spend the night there with some friends. It'll be our first trip with the kids and everyone is really looking forward to it, especially Sam. I'll be sure to bring the video and post some shots of our time together. Best get to bed as we've got a bit of a day tomorrow.
Comments