Sam the man running on the beach. He gets so "crazy!!"
Perrin and I went on this roller coaster over 5 times...she LOVED it. I tolerated it.
Legoland's version of the tea cup.
In front of the capital building...out of legos.
This guy reminded all of us of Grandpa up the Street.
We've had the last 12 days off of school and it's been absolutely lovely. Balin was home for almost the same amount of time which is undoubtably the reason why it was so lovely.
Unfortunately for Balin, he came down with Strep Throat for 3 days, which literally sent him to bed. Once he got to the doctor and got some penicillin he improved dramatically. We were both thankful he got sick when he was home instead of on our vacation or while he was traveling through South America - no fun to be sick, but it especially worse in a hotel room.
Last Thursday we loaded the car and Balin's truck and headed to Carlsbad California for some sunny California sun and surf. The weather was almost perfect, not a cloud in the sky. There were no crowds on the beach, it was warm and we didn't get stuck in traffic once. I really, really like California in such circumstances. We stayed at a condo right next to the beach, which is the way to go in my opinion. We were literally 5 minutes from Legoland and didn't have to get on a freeway once. The kids loved the ocean and played in it all morning and then came back for more in the evening. Balin forgot to put sun screen on and became as red as a lobster....and then he blamed me. Why? I'm responsible for the children, he's a big boy now and can take care of himself. :)
I don't know why, but I so much prefer Legoland to Disneyland - crazy I know but I do. It was so not crowded on Friday when we went. Perrin went on the roller coaster 8 times, in a row. There were no lines. The kids were tall enough to go on every ride and they went on every ride. There were lots of places to have down time, like the Pirate ship that is actually a water park, or the rooms filled with legos to build things with. What was also great was the $58 3 month pass I bought as Costco - so we can go again, again and again. With Balin working outside of San Diego in Alpine we might make a road trip over there one weekend and go again. Maybe, it's a long drive.
One of my favorite things we did over the weekend was take a drive along the 101. We were looking for a breakfast spot and we decided to drive through the coast towns looking for a yummy cafe. We found one in Del Mar which was charming. The sun was shining, the coffee was delicious, the kids were behaving - perfect. I told Balin that for my 50th birthday I would like a convertible and a road trip along the California coast for a week. He smiled and said that sounded great. I love my husband. I really, really do.
We left Carlsbad and stayed the night in LaJolla, which wasn't all that great. Again, I think the key to California with the kids is staying right on the beach and in a location where we can walk or ride scooters everywhere. Our hotel in LaJolla was neither of those. Oh well. Next time. From LaJolla we headed to Alpine and stayed the night with Balin. He started work on Monday and we headed home.
The drive was pleasant and relatively quick and we were all excited to be home. We have a couple days left of fall break and we're headed to Phoenix for a night with a friend to play in a resort and pile in a hotel room together. I'm looking forward to it, but school on Monday will be a true vacation.
Pictures coming...i took to many in California and my computer is objecting.
Comments