It's true, I got a job. I love saying that. For years now I've proclaimed that I am retired and that my only job is the kids and husband - which hello - big job there. But, life changes. Opportunities arise and I couldn't pass on this job. Yes, it will be difficult. There will be sacrifices. I will suffer people. But oh, I will suffer in....the BEAUTIFUL SWISS ALPS! That's right. You read correctly. It's not a typo. I got a job working for July and August as a hiking guide in the Swiss Alps. It makes me smile just typing it. How the heck?
I met some people here in Prescott a couple of years ago and really liked them. They own a tour company, http://www.alpinehikers.com/ . The Haynes go to Switzerland every summer for a couple of months to run the program. They have a 5 year old and an 18 month old - so they know what it's like to do this with kids.
I was chatting with JJ, the mom, and she mentioned that they were in need of a guide and thought I would be perfect if it weren't for the kids. The travel schedule is pretty intense and you don't get to see the little peeps much. I mentioned it to Balin and he gave me a hearty, "GO FOR IT!". With that I talked to the Haynes and they said they were game if I was game. YES!
I think the plan is to head over to Switzerland the last week of June, start training in July, work in July with some time off to spend with the kids. The kids will go home the 23rd ish of July as they start school the 25th and I will stay on until the beginning of September. A family from Sam's class said they would love to come over and nanny the kids for the month of July and then hopefully my mother in law can take them back to Prescott. In Prescott both kids will be in school and I'll arrange to have someone watch them for the month of August. Unfortunately we can't depend on Balin's schedule so I have to plan everything as if he was gone, but I am hoping that he will be present much of August so the kids have something of a regular routine. That way the kids will at least have one of their parents home.
This first year is going to be a lot of trial and error but I'm really hoping that it works. I have some doubts - that's a long time away from the kids and this will not be a money making endeavor, but dang if it's not a great adventure. And for those of you that know me - I'm into adventure!
I met some people here in Prescott a couple of years ago and really liked them. They own a tour company, http://www.alpinehikers.com/ . The Haynes go to Switzerland every summer for a couple of months to run the program. They have a 5 year old and an 18 month old - so they know what it's like to do this with kids.
I was chatting with JJ, the mom, and she mentioned that they were in need of a guide and thought I would be perfect if it weren't for the kids. The travel schedule is pretty intense and you don't get to see the little peeps much. I mentioned it to Balin and he gave me a hearty, "GO FOR IT!". With that I talked to the Haynes and they said they were game if I was game. YES!
I think the plan is to head over to Switzerland the last week of June, start training in July, work in July with some time off to spend with the kids. The kids will go home the 23rd ish of July as they start school the 25th and I will stay on until the beginning of September. A family from Sam's class said they would love to come over and nanny the kids for the month of July and then hopefully my mother in law can take them back to Prescott. In Prescott both kids will be in school and I'll arrange to have someone watch them for the month of August. Unfortunately we can't depend on Balin's schedule so I have to plan everything as if he was gone, but I am hoping that he will be present much of August so the kids have something of a regular routine. That way the kids will at least have one of their parents home.
This first year is going to be a lot of trial and error but I'm really hoping that it works. I have some doubts - that's a long time away from the kids and this will not be a money making endeavor, but dang if it's not a great adventure. And for those of you that know me - I'm into adventure!
Comments