Today was our first, ever, annual Christmas celebration at the Strickler house. Seeing how it was my dad's birthday, I wanted to make sure we had a little fun in honor of him. I got a hold of a Young Life scavenger hunt and tweaked it a smidge for the family. As I presented the plan I got a lot of looks like - are you serious - particularly from my mom and sister. The girls and boys broke into teams, though we ended up with Stanley on our team...not sure how that happened...but he was a useful participant. The hunt started off a little rough on the kid front too as they had stayed up late at Grandma's house and gotten up early. Sam started crying when we asked him to get his shoes on and Perrin said, "I don't want to do this!!!". But as the excitement grew and the activities got more interesting, the kids and the adults had a great time!
sorry - video wouldn't post
I don't have the video footage from the boys team, but there's was pretty good. The winner was....the boys. We ladies had to serve the men all evening, which I have to say is not unlike EVERY other holiday so it wasn't so out of the ordinary. We came home from our hunt, served drinks and appetizers, finished the final touches on our special birthday dinner for my dad (spaghetti was his favorite and was served as many times as possible throughout the year) and enjoyed a delicious dinner and conversation. The kids were getting ansy for opening presents so we didn't dally at the dinner table. Sam, Perrin, Sophie, Jack and Pete sorted out all the presents and delivered them to the appropriate person. Sam's first present was the Star Wars Ewok lego - he was so excited he was bouncing around. Perrin was thrilled with the barbie and barbie convertible she received while jack put on his pogo stick stilts and had to be looked up to the rest of the evening. We all enjoyed watching the kids as they gleefully opened present after present. We adults all agreed that the true joy in Christmas is blessing the kids - and of course the blessing is returned the next day when the kids play all day with their new toys!
Comments