Yogi the wonder dog!
Isn't he cute? Yes, Yes, Yes....until 3 in the morning when he starts to yip. At that point I start rethinking the wisdom of the birthday gift. Thanks Balin.
Of course there is a story here - isn't there always. I turned 40 this year and Balin decided that he wanted to get me a really great birthday gift - one I wouldn't be quick to forget. I kept asking him what it was but he wouldn't bug, not an inch. No hints, nothin'. I asked Sam but he too was tight lipped. They didn't tell Perrin cause she's got a waggin' tongue when it comes to information and they knew she wouldn't be able to keep a secret.
Balin told me that I need to get kid care as we needed to go to Phoenix Tuesday the 25th in order to pick up my birthday present. Hmmm....Phoenix? What could it be I wondered. I took care of the details and we headed to PHX Tuesday morning. We stopped for lunch and chatted amiably when Balin looked at his watch and said, "Gotta go - we don't want to be late". Late? For a birthday present? Hmmm....I really had no idea about any of this and couldn't begin to think of what we needed to be on time for.
So we headed on the freeway and got off at the airport exit. There's nothing at the airport exit except, well, the airport. My first reaction was - I don't have any clothes and I didn't see any suitcases in the car. And what about the kids? I sort of panicked while Balin reassured me that he had it under control. My anxiety was a little relieved when we pulled off into the cargo shipping area but then I started to think - what was he shipping that needed to be on a cargo plane. Why not Fed Ex? Maybe...maybe...it was a dog. It was a fleeting thought, but then I quickly countered that thought with, "don't get your hopes up". A few minutes later a woman comes up to us and asks if we were there to pick up the dog. A dog? Ahhh!!! (That word covers so much emotion - fear - joy - fear - excitement) I looked and there was little Yogi Bear in a cage. He was pretty groggy but oh so cute. I took him out and held him and he just collapsed in my arms. Balin laughed and hugged me and the dog and we headed home. A friend of ours was coming into Phoenix and we stopped in Happy Valley to introduce her to the newest member of the Strickler zoo. She of course fell in love with Yogi and both Balin and I agreed that we wouldn't forget this birthday for a long time.
Yogi is making good stride with being a Strickler dog. He's learning to pee/poo outside, eat cat poop and tackle the cat when she least expects it. Yogi sleeps half the day, plays Jaws when he's awake (those are some wicked sharp teeth he's got) and snuggles whenever you hold him. He's a male Goldendoodle (Golden retriever mom and standard poodle dad) which keeps him from shedding but allows him to grow into what will probably be our biggest dog yet. (in the neighborhood of 80lbs.)
Of course he likes to get up early - like around 3 am and 5am - and then play. My first response the first night was, "at least it's not a baby and I can stick him back in the laundry room". I was asleep when I said it, I think, but it brought back bad memories of middle of the night feedings with Perrin. All in all, we all love Yogi the bear and we're glad that we got him. (well, maybe not Stanley - he's still adjusting)
Comments