A much needed birthday celebration









Wow, what a great birthday Balin and I celebrated!  We had two nights all to ourselves and we LOVED it.  Balin spent his actual 34th (I keep thinking he's 36, but alas he's only a kid still!)  in Argentina without much fan fare I'm sure.  Saturday I scooped him up from the airport and whisked him off to our little retreat.  I had gotten flowers, food, chocolate, wine beforehand and the room was set for a great quiet weekend. 

Sunday morning we took a lovely, lovely walk into a neighborhood at the base of Camelback mountain.  The homes were beautiful, the yards were amazing and Balin and I took the opportunity to chat and dream.  The weather was in the low 80's and it was perfect. 

We headed to the pool with our books and great expectations of quiet and good drinks.  Unfortunately for us it was the middle of Spring Training for the baseball teams so it brought....very interesting people to the adult only pool.  Honestly, I really didn't need to hear about the drunken charades of post college people...it kind of broke the mood a bit I have to admit.  I did read Heidi in it's entirety which inspired me for the upcoming adventure into Switzerland.

That night we went to the Tapas bar and enjoyed a quiet dinner outside on the patio while sipping our drinks and eating an amazing selection of cheeses, meats and bread/crackers.  On a funny note - Balin couldn't have been happier with our dinner selection.  I remember when we were deciding what we would serve at our wedding reception and he suggested cheese and crackers.  Just cheese and crackers and cake.  He's a simple man who loves his cheese and crackers.  Granted his tastes have widened to prosciutto, pancetta, soft cheeses, stinky cheeses etc. 

Monday morning we awoke with the unexpected call back to work. We needed to leave by 9 so that Balin could get home and get a proposal in.  Unfortunately our weekend got cut short, but we enjoyed it none the less.

Comments