Today is a perfect example of why people hire a guide to make sure things happen the way their supposed to. This morning we woke to a cloudy, rainy hiking day and I kindly volunteered to skip hiking and make sure the luggage got to the appropriate hotel. After breakfast, grocery shopping and running to the bank, I accompanied a guest to the doctor so that in case they didn’t speak English she would have a translator. From there we were to catch a bus, with the luggage, to the Gasterntal Valley where we would meet up with our group. We made it to the train station/bus station with time to spare – like 2 hours to spare – (it’s good to be able to read the bus time tables….) and there was no luggage nor bus. Hmmm….something doesn’t seem right. So I checked the schedule again and then called the bus company to make sure we had reservations. Luckily I spoke German as the man on the phone didn’t speak English. I was reassured that we had reservations and so we went to a cafĂ© to have a hot cocoa/tea and wait for the bus. (Side note: In German hot chocolate is Heisse Schocolade in Swiss German is HeiB Schogi – no wonder I can’t understand the Swiss dialect!)
I paid for the drinks and we went back to the bus station where our bus was waiting for us. Half of our group’s luggage had shown up but there was no sign of the other half. Hmph. I paid for all 22 pieces of luggage and for our fare and then talked to the bus driver. He said that he had to leave in 1 minute and if the luggage didn’t show up now he would come back at 3:30 and pick it up and take it to the correct hotel. Ok, that sounded good but where the heck was our luggage? I was proud of myself as I didn’t panic, though the guest that was with me was a little wide-eyed and nervous that I wasn’t going with her. I assured that she would be fine and she was to get off the bus with the luggage and get her room. Meanwhile I needed to track down the luggage. So I walked the ½ mile back to our hotel figuring it must still be there. As I walked into the driveway there were our hosts furiously packing it into their hotel van. They were so embarrassed that they had forgotten it was a little painful. I said it was no worry and that I would catch the next bus to our destination. He said had I been Swiss this would have been a catastrophe – I reminded him that I was a West Coast American and it wasn’t a big deal and not to worry. He smiled and thanked me.
So here I sit listening to my iPod, typing away and thinking of what I’m going to do for the next 2 hours. It’s cold and rainy and I’ve already eaten my lunch. I don’t have Internet connection, my iPad or a book…guess I’ll be happy in my own thoughts.
I just thought about the rest of our group who will be soaking wet and wanting of their clothes. Well, they’ll just have to relax naked in their rooms till I get there. Now, if you knew these people you too would be laughing as I am now. Ach, what a mental picture.
Cheers.
I paid for the drinks and we went back to the bus station where our bus was waiting for us. Half of our group’s luggage had shown up but there was no sign of the other half. Hmph. I paid for all 22 pieces of luggage and for our fare and then talked to the bus driver. He said that he had to leave in 1 minute and if the luggage didn’t show up now he would come back at 3:30 and pick it up and take it to the correct hotel. Ok, that sounded good but where the heck was our luggage? I was proud of myself as I didn’t panic, though the guest that was with me was a little wide-eyed and nervous that I wasn’t going with her. I assured that she would be fine and she was to get off the bus with the luggage and get her room. Meanwhile I needed to track down the luggage. So I walked the ½ mile back to our hotel figuring it must still be there. As I walked into the driveway there were our hosts furiously packing it into their hotel van. They were so embarrassed that they had forgotten it was a little painful. I said it was no worry and that I would catch the next bus to our destination. He said had I been Swiss this would have been a catastrophe – I reminded him that I was a West Coast American and it wasn’t a big deal and not to worry. He smiled and thanked me.
So here I sit listening to my iPod, typing away and thinking of what I’m going to do for the next 2 hours. It’s cold and rainy and I’ve already eaten my lunch. I don’t have Internet connection, my iPad or a book…guess I’ll be happy in my own thoughts.
I just thought about the rest of our group who will be soaking wet and wanting of their clothes. Well, they’ll just have to relax naked in their rooms till I get there. Now, if you knew these people you too would be laughing as I am now. Ach, what a mental picture.
Cheers.
Comments