Travels on my week off

I've got a few days off - 6 to be exact - and I'm wandering around Switzerland.  I've got a first class rail pass for the month - which I have to say is lovely, first class is the only way to go!  I went to Lucerne for a night and tooled around the city. It was Maria Himmelfahrt day (Maria goes to heaven day in the Catholic church) so EVERYTHING was closed.  And it rained. Hard.  So I went to an Italian restaurant, ordered a pizza and two glasses of wine and read my book.  Lucerne is a beautiful city, perched right on the lake with large hills everywhere. It actually reminded me of an undeveloped Seattle - rain and all.  I spent the night in a Youth Hostel on a VERY busy street. I ended up in the same room with 3 Koreans - who, when I told them I was 40 about keeled over and kept asking if I was kidding or not.  I like it. :) 
The next day I was kind of in a frump about what I should do.  I didn't want to stay in the hostel/Lucerne, but I didn't really have an idea of where I should go.  So I went to the train station.  Mind you I'm lugging a heavy backpack, my purse and a significant suitcase, so I wasn't interested in walking around all day.  I got to the train station, looked at the board of places to go and decided that the Italian part of Switzerland sounded warm and lovely.  So I got on the train and here I am.  Lugano.  Fortunately I had done a little research and had a number of a hostel in Lugano and directions on how to get there so when I landed in Lugano I found the bus I needed and headed to the hostel.  I got a private room, took my book and headed ot the pool.  This is probably one of the nicest hostels I've been to. Everything's clean and new, a beautiful garden with pool - it feels like a resort, $100/night style.  I spent some time just relaxing by the pool and then I went out for a walk.  I ended up at a Italian restaurant, where I was joined by Andreas, of whom I asked for directions to the hostel earlier that day.  He asked if he could have dinner with me and I said, uh, sure.  We sat and talked for a couple of hours - a little strange I have to admit. Not used to having dinner with men other than my husband.  Turns out he is 25 and doing his mandatory civil duty for Switzerland and he's from Lucerne.  Nice guy but I'm happy to tell him and everyone else that I'm 40 with two kids and a husband. :)  It's a great man repellant.

I'm heading to Riederalp today to hang out with Troy and JJ and do some hiking.  From there I'm not sure what I'm doing.  I do know that I need to be in Wengen on Sunday for my last week of tour guiding.  And from there....home. (I'm getting ready to be home)
 The Swans in downtown Luceren.
 You can drink the water that comes out of the city fountains.
  The river that goes through the city of Lucerne.

Lugano






Comments