Moab: windy, windy Moab

Somewhere I read that incessant wind can make you insane. I believe it. Especially when you're camping.

So the epic journey began quietly and serenely in Prescott. Balin had to go to South America for 10 days and was planning on being home the day before we left for Moab. Well, as predicted, Balin's plans changed and he wasn't going to be home in time.  So he made reservations to fly into Moab Friday night.

Okay. That worked. I could get the kids, myself and all the camping/bikes ready to go for the weekend.  No problem.  I started on Tuesday - packing, checking gear, getting it all in the car.  I borrowed my sister's rocket box - and with much cursing got it on top of the van.  Wednesday I purchased and prepped all the food for the weekend.  By Thursday I had the van packed and was ready to go.

Mind you it was also the end of the school year - conferences, parties, day in the park, early releases - whew - busy week.

Friday morning came, we got in our car and headed out to breakfast. A perfectly beautiful way to start a vacation.

Then we got on the road. Once I got out onto the freeway, the wind picked up - fast. It was so windy i had to fight to keep the van on the road. The kids started bickering and boy...things went downhill fast - and we were just in Flagstaff, 7 hours to go.

The next 7 hours were a trial in patience and diligence. The kids simmered down and did great.  I put on my 60 minutes podcasts and kept driving.  Balin called mid-way and said he missed his flight into Denver, which meant he missed his flight to Moab. It was for the best anyway due to the wind.

Our friends the Taylors made it to Moab from Denver and were checking out the campsite.  They did not have good reviews- windy and dusty.  Great.

As I was coming into Moab I came through a bit of a wind tunnel and poof! the rocket box blew off the roof, slid across the freeway and broke open.  All our camping gear was spewed across the freeway.  Balin's bike, new bike with 50 miles on it, was leaning halfway down the van.  Crap! I got out of the van, waved someone down and tried to get Balin's bike off the roof. No luck - so the bike rack came off with the bike, got thrown into the van, and we drove back to all our stuff.  By then the state troopers were on the site and someone had stacked all our stuff on the side of the road.  The troopers were so helpful and kind - it was such a relief.  They didn't even give me a ticket. The rocket box was destroyed and the troopers said we could leave it on the side of the road and the DOT would pick it up.  I think they took mercy on me as they say it was a mom with two kids and a disaster on her hands.  Oh vey!

So, we called Balin, told him the news and limped into the KOA in Moab.  There our vacation got worse.  The wind was so bad Sam put on his dive mask so that he wouldn't get sand in his face as he was riding his bike.  I swear there were wind gusts up to 30 mph. Dust was blowing so hard it was stinging.  By then it was 7:30pm and everybody was getting tired. My friends were trying to get their tent up in the wind and it wasn't going that well.  But then we all tried to get to bed.

The kids went to sleep pretty well but not I.

Flap, flap, flap went the tent. Roar went the wind.

I seriously woke up in the middle of the night and thought the top of our van was going to blow away.  At one point I deliriously thought that the maybe the wind could pick up the van and take it away.   "Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore".

Morning came, we packed up the van and our things and headed out to breakfast.  I guess our friends the Taylors did not sleep one little wink.  Their daughter, Eva (2), woke up several times in the middle of the night, sat up and then screamed bloody murder for 5 minutes.  (I can attest to this.  The wind did not mute her little screams.) Angie said we either get a hotel or I'm going home.  We got a hotel.  Both of us.  Balin then called and said he had flown into Grand Junction the night before and his dear friend (love you Scott) was driving him to Moab that morning.  Oh glorious day.

As I was unloading the car at the hotel, Balin drove up and the vacation was saved.  Last night we slept in a climate controlled environment and had a lovely breakfast in bed.  Feeling good this morning we're thinking that we can stay another couple of nights.  Sam is ready to climb some mountains and go mountain biking.

There is hope. We'll keep you posted.
On our way- all loaded down and ready for adventure.

It was so windy but Sam found a way to ride through it. Tough kid!

This is really how we like to vacation - breakfast in bed after a sleepless night camping in the wind.

Sam and lizards - they're everywhere and he finds them.

Sam found the skate park and was riding all around.

Perrin did her best in a skirt and her riding shoes.



Comments