Balin and I had some friends over for a glass of wine at the end of the school year last year, and what started as a nice idea and a little project became....a not so little project. As we were sitting in the comfort and beauty of my back yard, we started dreaming of a beautiful space for the kids to play in at their school. Maybe a turf field, maybe new play equipment, maybe....
I said I would find some funding for the project, help with the design if someone else made sure it happened. My preference would have been to hire my friend Nathan and his landscape team, but Jim (the other parent) said we could do more, cheaper and he would like to contribute.
Ok, sounds good.
He was true to his promise. He got a couple of contractors with a big tractor and they did some serious work. Moved tons and tons of existing pea gravel, leveled the playing field, created drainage areas, installed irrigation, planted 12 trees, created a beautiful shade structure - they did an amazing amount of work in an incredibly short amount of time.
Then all the details had to be attended to: painting picnic tables & play structures, picking out rocks from the to be soccer field, moving pea gravel that was underneath play structures, weeding etc. All the while it was either scorching hot or raining. Volunteers showed up through out the week to participate in finishing up the project, which was awesome.
We are almost finished, there are a few details that need to be attended to, but overall I'm really excited and I think the kids will be too!
These guys are my heroes and I'm so thankful for all the work they did. Mike, Jim and Steve - a shout out and a big thanks to you all!
| Before: Looking out from side entrance towards the field |
| Before: Picnic tables that got new tops, stabilized and painted. |
| Before: Front entrance. |
Comments