Summer Draws Near

The days are getting longer, the grass is finally turning green and I have the first bouquet of flowers from the garden.

The kids are asking why they have to go to bed at 8:00pm, "No one else at school has to go to bed that early!" Ha - I checked your bluff and everyone I talked to puts their kids to bed by 7:30.  But with summer rapidly approaching the nights will seep into the darkness and the 9:00 hour, which is fine by me. One of my favorite things to do in the twilight is to go out and garden until I can't see what I'm doing.  All the while the kids ride their scooters or bikes around the driveway and down the sidewalks. It's a lovely way to live and I'm so very thankful.

This summer's plans are sure to be exciting as we start the season camping with friends in the Verde Valley.  A good friend has a property on the river with a big grassy field, old fashioned barn and an historic house called the "The Rock House".  We're heading over there for Memorial Day weekend where we'll spend the night, drink adult beverages, watch the kids play & swim and generally have a good time.  

Sunday Balin and I load up our vehicles and help take 86 teenagers and kids with disabilities to camp in Williams Arizona, where they're bound to have the best week of their lives.


We've stepped up our support for Young Life lately as I've been hosting an "administrative day" at our mother-in-law quarters every Tuesday from 9-12.  It's seemingly made a huge impact for the staff guys as we bust out necessary but often non-glamorous tasks (budget, updating web-page, communicating with donors).  

On Tuesday we head down to Scottsdale after dropping off the kids at my mom's house for an overnighter.  My mom is in the final stages of her huge landscape project.  By the looks of it, her yard will resemble a resort and we're excited to partake in it.  In Scottsdale Balin and I have a few business meetings and then we'll relax by the pool - or Balin will hide away in the hotel room to work while I lay by the pool.  Thursday we head to the airport where we'll catch a flight to Medford.  

We're looking forward to a weekend in Southern Oregon with Balin's family.  Charlie and his girlfriend Lindsey will be coming from Denver, while Sarah will hopefully be feeling energetic enough to join us with her new baby Brooklyn, who was born May 15th.  We're looking forward to a beautiful weekend of enjoying one another.  We'll depart on Sunday and leave Perrin for her much anticipated week with her grandparents.  She is so looking forward to being "spoiled rotten" by Grandma and Grandpa of the woods.

Keep a look out as I post photos from our adventures.  And when I have a little more energy than I do tonight I'll  post some pictures from my latest projects:
  • The Grove House (Balin's newly renovated office space)
  • The Park House Guest Apartment
  • My Mother's Day Armoire
And hopefully I'll take a minute to publicize my summer goals so that they are more than just ideas floating around in my head....

Comments