Grandma Peterson passed and a trip to Spokane

Right before Sam's birthday, we got word that my Grandma Peterson passed away.  She had been failing for a couple of months and really for the last couple of years had wanted to go and meet the Lord.  She was 103 after all.  Katherine Wilhelmina Kryns came to America on a boat from Holland in 1912 I believe.  She passed through Ellis Island with her family and continued West, where they eventually settled the Deer Park area of Spokane.  I think growing up as a farmer in the depression was pretty difficult business and from the sounds of it, it made her quite strong and resilient to the storms of life.  She married, had four children, took in her ailing mother-in-law, nursed her husband as he struggled and finally succumbed to cancer.  Without provided government housing, Grandma went to find a job and housing in nearby Spokane.  She was able to provide college education to her children and encouraged them to work hard and provide for themselves.  Grandma was a very capable and kind woman, though not soft and fuzzy or a push over.

My family lived in Spokane until 1980 when we moved West to the Seattle area.  Before that time we would see my grandma on a somewhat regular basis.  Dinner at her house in the summer meant bowls of fresh vegetables from the garden, which took up the majority of her back yard.  Sue, my sister and I, would spend the hour before dinner either picking flowers or scavenging the pea patch or raspberry bushes.  There was always something delicious in Grandmas garden.  In the winter, time at Grandmas meant shoveling her driveway and walkway or sitting round the T.V. watching old re-runs.  She had a heck of a basement that was always freezing cold and damp.  I swore that there were monsters in the laundry area and I had to be convinced it was safe to enter.

One year I remember my parents were having a really difficult time.  My parents were fighting a lot and we often had to pick dad up from the bars far too late into the evening.  I was pretty young and didn't quite understand what was going on.  I recall my dad taking me with him to look for furnished apartments, and I wondered why.  He said my mom and he needed some space apart to figure some things out.  Next thing I knew my dad was staying with Grandma.  He found a furnished house with dinner provided!  My grandma loved my dad...he would make her laugh and they would always go out to the movies, bingo or gambling, which Grandma loved being with my dad.  I found out later that my Grandma wanted my parents to work it out and stick together so she was willing to open her home to help make that happen.  It turns out my dad was an alcoholic and went to Seattle for treatment, and never had a drink since.  A couple of years later my dad was admitted to the Psych Ward at the local hospital for being Bi-polar, which was a diagnosis that lasted to his dying day.  Without my Grandma's unwavering support, I honesty don't think my parents would have made it through those very difficult years.

My Grandfather died when my mom was 15 and a freshman in college. (That's another story)  My sister, who was very close to my Grandma, would ask her if she was dating or interested in getting married.  I remember hearing her say something to the effect of, "Why would I ever want to get married again?  To cook and clean for a man and then take care of him when he's sick?  No thank you, I'm perfectly fine on my own."  And she was.  She cooked for herself daily, took walks everyday up until her latest years, garden way into her 90's and had lots of friends and family.  (Amongst her children she has over 54 relatives)  I have a theory about people and that as they age their true self comes nearer the surface revealing their heart and who they are.  As Grandma got older she got kinder, more truthful and funnier.  It was great to see her in March '13 as she was still able to be funny and sparky even though she could barely see or remember a thing.

My freshman year in college I headed East to Eastern Washington University in Cheney, which is just outside of Spokane.  My mom told me I couldn't come home from college until Thanksgiving, hoping I would adjust and make friends there in Cheney.  I was not unlike other college freshman in that I was a little homesick and I missed my family.  Lucky for me I was able to hop on a bus and head over to my Grandma' house, where I could hang out and chit chat the night away while playing a mean game of dirty dog.  I often, well often is relative, would bring the boys I was interested to Grandma's house and she would give me her honest opinion.  Thank goodness she did 'cause boy oh boy did I ever have some interesting guys hanging around.  She did meet Balin and from the moment she met him adored him.  Good job helping me sift through the rubble Grandma to find the diamond!

I could go on and on about the memories of Grandma as they were often great.  Of course she was not an easy pushover that we had often hoped for as kids, she didn't take much grief off us kids.  But she was kind, industrious, steady and funny.  She left a legacy behind that continues through all of us kids and hopefully down to the grandkids.

We'll miss you Grandma.

The Spokesman-Review photo

Katherine Peterson

Spokane
Katherine Wilma (Kryns) Peterson is celebrating her 100th birthday today. She was born Sept. 29, 1909, in Den Helder, Holland. She moved to Camden, Wash., in 1912, when her father bought property there.
She met her husband, Frank Peterson, at a dance in Camden. They were married in 1935. He died in 1961.
Peterson worked for the state of Washington Employment Security for 17 years. Her most rewarding life achievement was raising her four children.
Today she enjoys spending time at the Hillyard Senior Center and the casino. Up until last November, Peterson lived in her own home.
Peterson credits her long and healthy life to having regular hours, regular meals, a nap and a walk nearly every day and good genes. Her brother is 101 years old.
When asked what has been her most memorable moment in the past 100 years, Peterson mentioned the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.
Peterson has four children: Doris Abrahamson, Spokane; Darrell Peterson, Spokane; Linda Weatbrook, Prescott, Ariz.; and Larry Peterson, Mossyrock, Wash. She has 13 grandchildren and 23 great-grandchildren. 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks Judy for sharing Katy's story! And thank you for sharing your story as well. We are related, but hardly know each other and it was very interesting to read about your past and your experiences with all the things I associate with Katy: the garden my mother and I would tend when we came to visit, the cold basement where my brothers and I slept, and sitting around the television with Katy's sense of humor shining through! From Kimberly Beauchamp (Katy's half-sister is Leanne and she is my mother - from Colorado)