Sam's birthday

 I haven't quite figured out the finer point of baking....especially at 5500'.  I know we've been in Prescott for over 7 years and still Sam's birthday cake turned out....disgusting.  Well, it actually tasted good as I scraped it from the pan on it's way to the garbage, but obviously it wasn't suited for public consumption.  I found that using a spring form pan makes all the difference in making cakes here and Sam's birthday cake turned out just fine with one layer of cake with ice cream in the middle.  I did think in the process of ruining the icing 20 minutes before we were scheduled to leave for his party, that it would have been easier to stop by the store and get one from the freezer....

 For Sam's birthday he asked his neighbor and cousin Sophie to go to the movies and then out for dinner with him, Grandma and his parents.  We saw Turbo, which is a great movie, and headed out to Sam's favorite restaurant; Red Lobster.  The Friday following his birthday he asked to go to Full Swing in Prescott Valley, which turned out great.  We had 18 kids there (didn't quite expect so many kids but what the heck, the more the merrier) and they played for two hours.  They have batting cages, basketball, air hockey, trampoline and other games that you wish you had at home.  Both girls and boys had a great time.  As part of his birthday Sam brought home Trent and Nicolas to spend the night.  It was a great evening for a slumber party as Balin watched the kids and Nicolas' mom Sandra, Addy's mom Missy, my friend Anna and I went to the family night at school and then slipped out for drinks at the Firehouse. We had a great time and I think Balin enjoyed being home with all the kids.




We headed out later in the week with the kayaks to Watson Lake to do some relaxing and some fishing.  I decided I liked Perrin's style of relaxing....put the umbrella up and sit back and enjoy.  She was great fun to have in my boat while Sam was busy casting, trying to catch something.
Yogi went running with Balin a couple of weeks ago and somehow impaled himself with a stick, that sent him to the doctor's office.  He wasn't down for long, though he had to wear Balin's t-shirts for two weeks, which was a little awkward.  I think people thought I liked to dress my dog up - which is kind of weird - (even though I did dress Buddy the Bischon in baby clothes and put him in a baby Bjorn before Sam was born...).  Yogi is all better now and he, Daisy and I have been hiking a couple times a week.  The dogs are good for about 5 miles and then they start laying in the middle of the trail or climbing into streams to go swimming.  I don't even bother trying to keep them clean anymore.


Comments