Week Two...

Today public schools went back to their regular schedule.  I was a little envious I have to admit.  7 hours of "free time" to do as I wanted while the kids were taught by their amazing teachers.

I was particularly envious at 10am we took a break. The kids rode their bikes and I ran with the dogs for a mile, all while the kids were picking at each other.

I lost it.  It had been a morning of whining and complaining and just stinkin' picking on each other.

In not such a calm voice, I reminded them that we are all choosing to do this homeschool thing.  I am choosing to spend a LOT of time with them.  Which I love.  BUT NOT WHEN THEIR BICKERING.  They both apologized immediately and for the most part got their act together for the rest of the afternoon.

Meanwhile, I had a list of chores I had to do that honestly wiped me out.  I'm tired.  Plus cooking 3 and cleaning up 3 times a day.

I am remembering why I was ALWAYS tired when the kids were little.

Yesterday, after taking the kids sledding and a picnic (in the snow…) I told S&P that daddy and I needed some rest time.  We were tired of playing and just wanted to read a book.  Perrin looked at me, said, "Ok - I'm going to play upstairs" and went her merry way.  Thank goodness.

Sam has been sleeping in for the past two weeks until 9am and then can't fall asleep until 10pm.  (Which means he's coming into our room often saying, "I can't fall asleep".)So we got him up at 7am this morning and made him get moving so that he has a full, tiring day and can fall asleep at night.  We rode bikes today, we're going to play soccer at the elementary school down the street in 30 minutes and then we're going to have him do a Crossfit style workout.  Hopefully he's asleep by 8.

'Cause I will be.

All that said, I wouldn't trade this time for the world.  Sure it's frustrating, tiring, a lot of work, but this time has so many other rewards.  We are going to Anthem tomorrow so Perrin and Grandma can do a shopping trip (they'll get their work done before we leave and in the car down) while Sam and I go for a nice long bike ride.  We leave on Friday to go to Pagosa Springs to go skiing/snowboarding for 3 days and then we'll head to Denver for a few days and hopefully back to Pagosa Springs to do a little more skiing.  Along the way the kids will do their studies - which is so cool.  

I'm reading a book right now by Scarlett Lewis called Nurturing, Healing Love.  Scarlett lost her 6 year old boy in the Sandy Hook shooting.  Tragic.  I am gleaning so much out of this book that reinforces everything about my faith and the way I want to live life.  Scarlett is choosing to forgive and love and it's changing her and the world.

As I read this book in the midst of our rough start with homeschooling, I can't help but stop and give thanks for all the ups and downs.  To appreciate the moments I have with my children and honestly, with God.  This experience, much like when I was teaching high school full time, is causing me to depend on God 'cause I cannot do it on my own.  I could do 7 hours of free time on my own, but 24/7…no way.

Trials often are the reminder to me that I can't and don't want to make this journey alone.  His strength, wisdom, patience, kindness, peace are what I want more of in my life and so I continue to put myself in situations that make me uncomfortable, because that's when I depend on Him the most.

Comments