A Winter's Update

I wasn't sure how my latest and greatest adventure of homeschooling was going to play itself out.  I was a bit concerned that we would be bored, sitting around the house after school work was done wondering what should we do.  Ho Hum. 

At this point we haven't really experienced the feeling of being bored.  Sidenote:  I think it's good for everyone to be bored from time to time.  It allows us to think outside of our regular routine and use our imagination.  "Boredom" from time to time means that the pace of life is probably about right - verses the alternative of being so busy there is no "just being" time.  That being said….

The kids are doing great in their schooling; they've got their routine down and know what's expected of them.  They're getting more and more sufficient which has the danger for me of being less diligent on making sure they're doing what they say they're doing.  Learned that the frustrating way with Sam. :)  

The flexibility of our schedule is astounding and very addicting as we trot all over the Southwest.  From skiing and working in Colorado a couple of weeks ago to heading South to the Rock & Gem Show in Tucson this weekend, we love being able to get up and go.  With Emily taking care of the dogs while we're gone, spontaneous travel has never been easier.

One of the benefits and detriments of homeschooling is together time.  The kids are together A LOT.  Most of the time it's great and they really work well together, like Sam having to practice music:

Other times, not so great.  A friend said to me the other day, "That must be rough having your children fight, mine don't." What?  ALL CHILDREN/PEOPLE bicker from time to time!  Maybe I should define "fight".  My children "fight" by bugging each other - Sam in particular loves to get a rise out of Perrin.  Yesterday Sam was complaining about Perrin always talking about her "feelings" and Perrin responded, "Do you want my mouth or my fists to do the talkin' Sam?"  So, yeah, she expresses her feelings with a lot of words.  


 Sam and Perrin both like to be at home, a lot.  But too much time in a confined space, fosters the bickering from time to time.  As a preventative measure, we head off to Starbucks from time to time to get a few things done, while sipping on our favorite drinks. (Perrin's is sweetened Iced Tea, Sam's is Vanilla Steamer and mine is a hot tea with cream.)  It's great and both kids are really productive for the hour to two hours we're there.

My nephew Peter's 18th birthday is coming up.  My sister was hosting the birthday dinner - which was beautiful and amazing, and asked me to make a German Chocolate Cake with Pecan Frosting, as she had to work the whole day and didn't have time.  I gladly said yes, even though I am very unskilled in baking.  I got the cake & frosting made and it was cooling while the kids and I went upstairs to do some History.  As we were sitting their watching a DVD, I heard a "CRASH"!  Immediately I knew Yogi was up to no good.  When I got downstairs, this is what I found:
 He had taken the cake stand and plate off the counter with his teeth after having eaten what he could reach by standing up with paws on the counter.  Darn dog.


 Little did he know he actually saved me as the frosting didn't turn out.  I ran to Baskin Robbins and buy a cake and blamed it on Yogi.  :)

That week, a storm was blowing through Northern Arizona so I figured I'd check out the weather in other places.  It was DUMPING in Pagosa Springs and Wolf Creek.  I mentioned it to Balin and he enthusiastically said, "LET'S GO!"  We grabbed some lodging via VRBO in Pagosa Springs, told Ms. Emily that she was in charge of the dogs for the next couple of days and we were outta here!  We drove  8 hours to get there, taking the 40 to New Mexico and then headed north.  It was a surprisingly quick trip and easy drive.  I drove so Balin could work while the kids did their school work in the car.

We weren't disappointed as there was probably 2' of fresh powder in the trees!  Amazing!  I don't know if I had ever experienced such light and fluffy snow before but I can tell you I am hoping to experience it more!  I don't know who was more excited though to play in the cold, Balin or the kids.  Balin made the comment that he's ready to retire so he can ride his mountain bike and snow board.  Yeah, that's not happening.





One of  the best parts of going skiing though was the time together.  Be that on the chair lift as the kids are planning their next run and I am huddling and going to my "happy place" in my head or in front of the TV watching the Olympics together.  The solid time hanging out together was priceless.  A couple of years ago a good friend of mine said that her family always went skiing for their vacations.  Skiing? I was incredulous as skiing is cold and I was just warming up and drying out after living in Washington for so long.  Her comments about their vacation struck a chord.  "Skiing allows everyone to be together, yet be challenged at their own pace when they're going down the hill.  Then at night, everyone is tired from a lot of exercise and is happy to cuddle on the couch, next to the fire and watch a good movie."  She's right.  It's kind of perfect.  Except that it's cold.


Comments