Our bikes were jacked.

I've been up since 4:30am when Balin discovered our bikes had been stolen sometime in the night.

Sad, sad, sad.

My first reaction was "AGH! My bikes!!!" but then it quickly turned to more quirky responses exemplified in my texts to friends:

Gen: "Bikes got stolen last night!  Replaceable but oh so annoying.  Hopefully someone needed to feed their family with those bikes (proceeds from) and not their meth habit.  :)  Can't help but think of Robin Hood or Les Mis but my guess is their intent was far less noble."

Balin: (who was on his way out the door to fly to Iowa)  "Matthew 6:17-21  Well, I've had moths literally destroy my clothes, now thieves come and rob....it's a good reminder to not store up our treasures here on earth.  They will all be gone and their worth will be nothing soon enough."

Balin's response: "Amen girl.  Keep that attitude.  It is just stuff and we are blessed."

It's just stuff.

It can be replaced.

I truly don't want my treasure or my heart to be focused on earthly things.  I want my heart to be about loving people and loving God.

And so I prayed.  I prayed for the person who took our bikes.  I prayed and I pray that they might have enough.  I pray that they would find peace not as the world gives, but through knowing that God is the ultimate provider and all they have to do is ask.

I will lock my doors at night.  I will turn on lights on the outside at night.

And I will pray.  For people to have enough so they don't feel the need to take from others.  And for those of us who have enough, to give generously to those who don't.


Comments