Lenten musings

Boy, I have to say life has been challenging the past couple of weeks.  From feeling overwhelmed with school, house work, to Balin's travel schedule...all of it.  I've never been a worrier, but if anything is going to make me worry, it's my kids well being.  In the past I haven't had to worry about the kids as life was pretty stable...or at least I don't remember any of the struggles that I had.  Which is why I am wanting to write these struggles down, so I don't forget, so I remember and have compassion on others and myself.  To remember that God works through all circumstances to bring about our good - especially when the circumstances are painful or uncomfortable. 

I was reading a Lent reflective book this morning and a passage really spoke to me.  It was talking about Jesus' temptation in the desert and how Satan used the lure of power for purposes that are less than God's purposes.  "During Lent we experience the evil one's proficiency at crafting very subtle and dangerous appeals to our instinctual patterns (read motherhood) to save ourselves through our own human strategies rather than trusting God for what we need.  A true Lenten journey demands we take a clear-eyed look at our lives and wonder, "Where am I tempted to 'turn these stones into bread' - using whatever gifts and powers God has given me to secure my own survival."

"Securing my own survival".  Those are powerful and true words.  I am instinctively protective of my children, using whatever strategies or gifts to secure their survival.  And not just their survival, I want to secure their happiness.  But when I take a deep, cleansing breath, what I know deep down inside is their happiness and comfort level should not be my supreme goal.  Rather, trusting God to work out His very best for them and using all circumstances and situations - the good, bad and ugly - to bring about growth that happiness and comfort can never bring. 

Oh.  It. Is. Tough. To. Wait. 

I am clinging to the verse that calls me to cast all my cares onto Him because He cares for me.  To be anxious about nothing, but with thanksgiving present my requests to God and the peace that transcends all understanding will guard my heart and mind in Christ Jesus. 

I know it's good for me to walk through these trials - so I will give thanks for the opportunity to continue to trust in His Perfect Will.

And I'll keep you posted on the developments and how God takes trying situations and makes them beautiful.

Comments