April Musings

We ended our ski season in the beginning of March as we had all skied to our hearts content this winter. Both kids improved dramatically and thought nothing of heading down a black diamond trying to keep up with their dad. I'm pretty sure Sam can ski faster than me - but I like to think my style is still a bit ahead of his!  The nice thing about ending our season a little "early" is we were able to joyfully lend out our condo to other skiers and families alike.  I can't help but think it's a little silly to have a place that is only used for a handful of weekends, so I am pretty open about letting others use our condo.  We had probably 4 other families, including my brother and his friend, head up there and I think everyone enjoyed themselves. (Side note: I learned a good lesson about sending thank you notes...the absence of thank you notes speaks loud!)

In the midst of March, Balin had travels all over the place.  East Coast, the South, Midwest - you name it, he seemed to go there.  After having a very quiet year, the travel was a welcome change as it meant business was picking up.  As of this week, changes are happening rapidly for Balin and he's pretty excited about the opportunities.  I'm not sure I'm at liberty to say what those changes are, though I'm not sure anyone reading this is particularly interested (except you Susie), but he's pretty excited about where work is going.

The kids celebrated the first day of April with Geography Day.

They had a great time traveling around "the world" to explore different kinds of games played on all the continents.  It was another fun example of why we love the kids' school and what makes it special.








The first week in April was the spring break for all the local schools in the area.  My good friend Renee, whose husband is Perrin's teacher, is a Health and Fitness teacher at an elementary school in the area, and hence had a week break, but her husband and kids did not.  I had asked her in January if she had any plans for break and asked her if I could reserve a night of her break to go on an adventure.  She heartily said yes and I put it on my calendar.

As the week approached and we looked at the ensuing weather reports, we quickly crossed off skiing, backpacking, camping and decided that a road trip in the rain to see the tulips in Mt. Vernon area sounded like the best option.

The night before a girlfriend texted to see if I wanted to go mountain biking with her that week.  When I told her what Renee and I were doing and invited her to come with, she didn't hesitate before saying she was in.  So the three of us hopped in the car, left the kids at home, got some snacks and were headed for La Connor.

It was such a fun adventure.




















The night before we left Balin asked which pass we were going over.  Well, my favorite of course, Hwy 20, which takes us through Winthrop and then over the North Cascades.  Balin quietly commented that it might be closed, as it usually is during the winter.  Hah!  It was April, it wasn't going to be closed.  (that's some sneaky foreshadowing...)

We head out of Spokane on Hwy 2 taking the scenic route, and the slow route because heck, we have no agenda and we have no kids.  Girl trip!  At the Grand Coulee Dam we get out to take a little hike, though it was cold and windy so our hike was nothing more than a stretching of legs.  We traveled on with our lunch stop scheduled to be at Winthrop.  I have to say the drive over to Winthrop is absolutely stunning.  The Methow Valley is breath taking especially when all the fruit trees are in bloom.

Upon entering Winthrop we wandered into hiking shop and asked where a great place for lunch was.  After chatting with the shop clerk, she asked us where we're coming from and where we were going.  When we mentioned La Connor, she smiled and said, "You know the pass is closed, right?"  Really?  Balin was right...again. Dang it.

Some people think that planning routes make the trip more fun.  I would have to disagree.  Had I planned to take the pass where we eventually had to go, we would have missed the Methow Valley.  Who schedules in a 3 hour detour to see a pretty river valley and cute little town.  No one.  Blessings are often in the "unplanning".  I did have a hotel reservation because there are many blessings in the planning too!

From Winthrop we hopped back in the car and made our way to Wenatchee and further on through Leavenworth, where it was pouring down buckets, and over Steven's Pass, where it was snowing REALLY hard.  Coming through Snohomish and being pooped out onto the I-5 going North was far less exciting than the North Cascades Loop, but it got us where we needed to go.

The clouds parted as we entered the Skagit Valley and the sun peaked through just enough to give us a dazzling display.  Not to disappoint Balin, I texted him, "I could so live here" and he reminded me that it's cold and gray in his best Eyore impersonation.  Oh yeah.  But the plants are so vibrant and alive.   And the flowers.  Wow.  I think I was still in an Arizona mind set as the green of the trees and fields, grays of the skies and the colors of the flowers were almost enough to make me weep.  So Stunning.

By the time we arrived, the town of La Connor was starting to close down, and we were all very hungry.  We checked into our adorable hotel, complete with huge fireplace in the sitting area.  We checked into our delightful room and headed to the restaurant which was attached to the hotel for cocktails and dinner.

The next morning after breakfast, we put our bags in the car as we were headed out to check out the town.  I learned something new that morning.  If I open the trunk of my car only, it doesn't unlock the rest of the car.  If I put my keys in my purse and then decide I don't need my purse, and put it in the trunk, then close the trunk, my keys are effectively locked in the car.  I also learned that I really like AAA.  They came out within 30 minutes and popped the door open within another 10.  Disaster averted.

From La Connor we headed over to a tulip garden that was absolutely spectacular.  It must have had hundreds of thousands of bulbs in it!  It was on the edge of more tulip fields which then drew your eyes to the snow capped Cascades - Gorgeous!  We spent 30 chilly minutes getting our fill of flowers and then headed down the road towards I-90 and home.

It was a quick trip but so full of fun conversation and discussion.  There's nothing like a road trip to get to know people and let them get to know you.  With only 7 weeks of school left, I am confident that many more adventures await.

Comments