I've got a quick moment before I head to the airport to pick up Balin so I thought I'd get an update out there for anyone who's interested. (I try to remember this blog is intended to remind me of my life not to necessarily entertain or wow anyone...It's helpful as I slowly lose my memory after 40. Not kidding)
May has been pretty exciting so far. Points of wonder:
Grandparents Day at school. My mom came up and stayed with her sister for a couple of days and then finished the visit off with 2 nights at our house. She joined the children at school where they were able to demonstrate some of the highlights of learning at the Oaks. That night we headed to the Oaks theatrical production of Beauty and the Beast, which was awesome. It was really nice to see my mom and the kids really enjoyed it. Sam was looking forward to her visit all week as he was ready to play Magic with her.
Indiana Inn is 90% complete and 50% booked through August. Last Friday I put the final touches on the 5th apartment and shut the door as people were coming to stay a couple of hours later. It was glorious and so freeing to say "It Is Finished!" Such relief. So much work. The fun part has started and continues to amaze me.
A couple of weeks ago I turned off the volume to my phone. I was so tired of being a slave to electronics. It's been such a blessing. I find it so fun to turn my phone over and find that people have texted me or called and I can return the communication at my convenience. The best part is when I get a request for a reservation with Airbnb, it shows up on my home screen. I like to call them Easter Eggs - when I open them up I find various values in the "eggs", which is so fun. I found since I've turned off my phone I can be more present with the people I'm with and then when I turn my attention to my phone I can focus on the people who are trying to communicate with me. It's been delightful and I highly suggest it to everyone.
With the finishing up of Indiana I found myself to be extremely tired and generally worn out. The winter and spring had been pretty long and wet, which I don't really enjoy. Because I was working, I found I had little time to do much of anything else like exercise, garden, hike with the dogs and especially stay on top of my domestic duties. I was looking forward to a week of getting back on top of things last week, but instead had to make a quick trip to Arizona to participate in life with a dear friend.
I had a lovely time in Prescott as I stayed with my sister, who I have to say is one of the most interesting people I've ever met. Truly. She's so full of ideas and experiences and is always on the search for more. I find her to be really fun and a lovely person. And I can't tell you how delightful it was to be on the receiving end of her hospitality - she gave me her room and brought me coffee in bed. Maybe my next vacation will be to her house.
One of the best parts of being in Prescott again was seeing my dear friend Christie and sitting on her deck with a glass of wine and having great conversation. Amazing. I could truly do it every evening. I was also blessed by spending time with Anna and her kiddos Faith and Casey, who have become quite the young people. After school both days we went on Frog Hunting Adventures in the local watering holes. It was a delicious time of laughter, exercise, quiet and great conversation - all in two days. I am so thankful for my dear friend Anna and her openness for allowing me to walk alongside her in the messiness of life.
Meanwhile, Balin headed off to Scotland for his boy sleepover and adventure birthday party. From the sounds of it there was a great time had and stories made. I am so glad he was able to break away from work and the kids and I to enjoy time with his friends and brother. I look forward to picking him up from the airport and hearing about all the stories that were created.
The kids are almost done with school and I think we're all ready. Tuesday Perrin and I head off to the Oregon Coast for the 5th grade field trip. It looks like we're going to have sunny weather and I AM SO THANKFUL. I am really looking forward to hanging out with Perrin, her classmates and the other 30 parents who are tagging along. It's a pretty great trip and I'm looking forward to the adventure.
Today we celebrated Memorial Day at school with a Civil War Reenactment of the battle at Shiloh Church. The most impressive part of the day was the speech given by the Secondary Head Master. It was spectacular. Bill Stutzman is a man of many talents but oration has to be one of my favorites. I am so thankful that he will be guiding Sam and Perrin into adulthood and the complexities of higher level thinking. Just amazing.
This memorial day weekend is going to be in the 80's and I am so excited. I am looking forward to getting some household chores done. (After coming home from Arizona I looked around the house and asked myself, "Is my house always this dirty and I just haven't noticed it? My second thought is, "I so want to move into 1000' ft when the kids move out.") After a few chores are complete, I want to have what I've named a squirrel day. I want to do whatever comes into my field of attention. Work, play...doesn't matter. I don't want plans, I just want to have time to take naps, go surfing, garden...whatever. That is a perfect way to spend a weekend.
 |
| Balin and all his boyfriends got kilts to go running in Scotland with. Guess the American Boys made quite the impression on the Scotts. |
 |
| Balin has started a new hobby: cooking! I love it! We eat a ton of veggies and other nutritious food - much to the kids disappointment. |
 |
| Perrin got me a pasta maker for Mother's Day and she's been making delicious goods ever since. |
 |
| Apartment 1 is finished! |
 |
| Some great wood we put on the bathroom wall. Looks awesome. |
 |
| Faith Devito is growing up but not so much she misses the opportunity to hold Sophie's new kitties. |
 |
| Sam and Perrin at Grandparents day. |
Comments