A is for Adventure - today was a trying day

 

That’s a flat tire…there is a huge nail in the middle of it.

It started the other day when my friend Angela and I went up a VERY large mountain in order to get to my friends house for dinner.  We got to the crest of a very steep part and the car didn’t go all the way up, it started to go backwards.  NOOOO!!!  Angela got out of the car and I proceeded to go backwards, in the dark, trying not to drive into the large ditches on the side of the road.  All the while the engine kept dying so I had to keep one foot on the clutch/brake and the other on the accelerator revving the engine.  I finally got enough runway to make it up the hill, picking Angela up on the way.  

That night I called Balin and told him what had happened finishing the story with, “I’m all about adventure.  But there is enough adventure being down here in Central America by myself WITHOUT the car being a constant adventure.  I WANT A DIFFERENT CAR.  ONE THAT RUNS WITHOUT PROBLEMS!

Yesterday I was washing down the car before I left for town and noticed a flat tire.  Sigh.  I called a friend here and asked if she could help and she said sure, on Wednesday.  It was Monday, but I had everything I needed so that worked.  Today, Tuesday, the gardener showed up and I had a thought to ask him if he could help.  “Sure”, he said,  “Do you have a jack?” Huh. Nope. (No jumper cables either I realized later in the day).  He graciously called a friend and the friend and his dad drove over with a jack and proceeded to change the tire.  When they got the spare on the car, they noticed it too was flat.  So they took the tire down to the gas station, filled it up, then proceeded to finish the job.  I was so, so, grateful.  

A few hours later I decided I should take the spare tire in to get repaired as well as run a few other errands. I stopped at the hardware store, then dropped off at Firestone.  When I went to start my car a few minutes after arriving at Firestone, I noticed it had a moments hesitation for starting.  I thought, that’s not right, but continued to drive towards the beach where I was going to go surfing.  A nagging feeling inside told me, if you stop the car you’re going to get stuck so pull off onto a hill in the shade and try turning off the car.  If it dies you can most likely jump the clutch and have it start again.  So I found a good spot, pulled off and turned off the car.  That’s when I noticed smoke coming from the engine.  Seriously.  I tried turning on the car and it wouldn’t turn over.  And then it died.  Seriously.  I knew it wasn’t the battery because last time I was here by myself the battery had died but at least I could pop the clutch.  

So I called Balin.  Told him I was on the side of the road with a broken car.  He smiled - I assured him I had a plan and could take care of myself but I was done with the Landcruiser.

I am currently home after getting a ride from Carlos the taxi driver.  The car has been picked up by the tow truck and is being taken to Parrita where a car dealer is going to repair it and then give me a trade in value.  If it’s a decent price, I’m going to buy myself a new car tomorrow.  If I don’t get a fair price I’ll rent a car and sell the Landcruiser in San Jose.  Either way - good riddance cool beach/surfing/go anywhere car I thought I would love.  You’re too high maintenance and I don’t love you anymore.

Comments