Last week I had another 6 women down to Costa Rica for what is seeming to be the start of a tradition. This year we changed a few things up like having Angela come down and be the cook for the week. She was such a spectacular add to the week on so many levels. Most importantly the food was incredible. Fish tacos, homemade granola, gazpacho with stuffed mushrooms, and the list went on. I’m still enjoying some of the leftovers from the week.
Our second add was bringing Hester Christensen to share content with us. She’s a former woman’s pastor at our church and is currently working on her masters in theology. It was also an amazing addition to the week. She spent 5 days breaking down what REST is and how we could and why we should enter into it. Not only were our stomachs filled this week but more importantly our souls were satisfied.
This year I also added in some excursions like zip lining and paragliding, which I think were both out of some of my friend’s comfort zones. I told them the motto of the week was, “Sure Judy” whenever I suggested an outing. Of course there was surfing with Flaco, and Cheri and Angie found that surfing is fun! Renee and I were more than happy to catch the whitewater also as the waves always seem so big when you’re trying to catch them from the lineup. I think the most memorable excursion for all though was going to the gorge in San Isidro. It’s such a special, out of the way place that is truly what I would call magical. We went there last August during rainy season and what was magical turned to downright nightmarish with the increased volume of water, but in the dry season it truly isn’t to be missed. It’s a river that comes out of a dead end waterfall that then goes through a gorge of sorts, that you have to swim through and there’s no where to stand - just canyon walls, water and a waterfall at the end of the canyon. It was so quiet and peaceful with only a couple of people entering the canyon as we were leaving. It’s a place where I have to remind people that we’re in the middle of now where, with no medical support, so please use caution. It’s that remote.
Though the natural wonders were delightful - the true delight was story time. Each of the ladies shared their story of where they came from and what made them who they are today. It was my favorite part. It’s funny, I am so quick to judge people on their issues and hangups, but when you learn their story, I find myself having so much compassion and grace for them. Our stories make us who we are for better or worse. I am so thankful to be able to hear others stories and hopefully have them hear mine.
Here’s a quick movie of our time together.
Comments