As I think I mentioned before, Balin and I are organizing a mission/service trip for 38 parents and high schoolers. We’re headed to New Orleans for a week in the middle of June. The hope is…well to be honest I’m a little unsure what our hope is. Of course we want to serve and to grow in our character, but honestly I’m trying to walk into this week with humility and low expectations. When I look at the activities we’re doing, working at a food bank, participation in a Vacation Bible School and some other like activities, I think we could probably accomplish those activities here in Spokane because there is ample need in our back door. But I’m thinking that there’s something else that’s going to happen that can’t be explained. Bonding for sure but hopefully some changes in everyone’s spirits. We’ll see.
Meanwhile, in order to be prepared for the journey, the organization hosting us asked us to do some pre-trip training. We decided it would be more fun and engaging if we did the training over an 18 hour overnight in Wallace Idaho. We had 28 students and 8 parents in 2 houses; it was a lot of fun. A group of kids went skiing the morning of the retreat and we all met up in the afternoon in downtown Wallace. It was a great time, kids getting to know leaders, leaders hanging out with kids. We broke the group into smaller groups of 5-6 people, each with an adult. These are the groups that the kids will be working in when we get to New Orleans. I led some worship then Balin gave a couple of different teaching sessions. I have to say he’s a really good presenter. The kids listened and really enjoyed it when Balin had them break into their groups to answer questions and share their stories with each other. We repeated the program the next morning and then were on our way by 11am the next day.
I will admit that planning that seemingly small event was a huge undertaking. From coordinating housing, rides, food, people’s particular scheduling needs etc. For a couple of days it truly felt like I had a job, and I wasn’t particularly fond of that feeling. Balin and I both agreed that it was a good investment - even though it was a ton of work - though I’m not sure we would do it again. In fact, our next training session is in May and we’re going to do it at our house and keep it simple.
Comments