Perrin off to college

It seems like yesterday that I was writing about Perrin being in her room, on her faux cellphone, at 9pm when she was 2.  Now she’s at Point Loma University in San Diego - still on her phone at 9pm - or better yet hanging out with friends doing homework.  It has been such a beautiful journey with her over the last 19 years.  I love the woman that she is becoming; independent, thoughtful, kind, fun, a little shy and tentative, loyal and the list could go on.  She’s beautiful both on the inside and the outside.  

She has a tough time with transitions though.  Going off to school was exciting and fun until it wasn’t.  She waffled the first three months as to whether she was going to stay there or come home and go to the local college.  It was tough making new friends.  It was tough being vulnerable and honest with people she hardly knew.  This isn’t a new story for Perrin.  Early on in her social life, I made a point to have every girl in her class over for a one-on-one play date.  Being with people, regardless of their age and stage, one on one has always been her preference.  Thankfully she used that tactic as she encountered scores of potential new friends and it’s worked out well as she’s gotten quite a few friends with whom she’s doing life with.

Christmas was her first time coming home and I think she was so thankful to be in her own room, by herself and not have scads of people around.  At one point during the second week of her vacation she was just “hanging out” which was starting to drive me a little bonkers.  She then explained she needed the time as she’s around people constantly at school and her soul just needed a break.  I get that.  Good for her for recognizing it.

As a physics major, who also came in as a junior credit wise, she is waist deep in science and math classes, and she loves it.  She often says it’s really hard but she’s not falling behind.  In fact, this semester will probably be her most difficult semester of her undergraduate career - which I think she’s thankful for.  She’s been back and forth on what she should do for a second major since she’ll have a lot of free credits she’ll need to put towards a good goal. Currently the idea is communication.  A scientist who knows how to communicate - it’ll probably serve her well.

Perrin and her friend Mabry are planning to come to Costa Rica for spring break in the beginning of March.  We’re really looking forward to their coming…I don’t think Mabry has ever been to Costa Rica so it’ll be fun to have her.

This summer should be a fun one for Perrin as she’ll be serving at Young Life’s Malibu as a boat driver - which is the best job ever for a college student. Balin and I are so excited for her as our time at Malibu was so life giving we are hoping the same for her.  I’ll admit I’m a little concerned that Perrin will struggle being home most of the summer though with no sound job as of yet.  It’s a long time to “hang out” so we’ll see how that goes.  At the same time I don’t want to wish the time away as it goes so quick. 








Comments