From Sonoma to San Diego for Thanksgiving

 Sunny days of Sonoma seem so long ago.  What a truly remarkable town and even more beautiful people.  I am super grateful for our time spent there and Balin and I both were ready to move our transitory home to the next location, which happened to be Morro Bay.  

Morro Bay was really beautiful.  We found the state park that was right across the way from the ocean, where we took daily morning walks and found a bench with a perfect view of the sunsets in the evening.  We took a day of our time there and headed to San Luis Obispo where we found a coffee shop for Balin to do some work.


We went kayaking one morning - it was so gorgeous out.

Sea otters in the bay


It’s funny, everyone I talk to who knows SLO raves about it.  The outdoor adventure, the fun college vibe, the great downtown.  I think it’s fair to say that Balin and I did not give SLO the attention it deserves.  As we walked around we kind of shrugged our shoulders and agreed the first impression wasn’t all that for us.  

After a couple of days we packed up and dropped the trailer at a field at someone’s house near Paso Robles as we did not want nor need to bring it to San Diego for Thanksgiving.

From Paso Robles we headed to Newport Beach where we met our friend Kelly who is in charge donor relations for Practicing the Way. Her and her husband just got back from an international trip and were kind enough to meet us for dinner Monday night.  It was great to get to know them better and hear what is going on with Practicing the Way.  

We arrived in San Diego Monday afternoon so that Perrin could enjoy having her puppy on campus.  Boy was Piper excited to see her.  That night I booked Balin and I a hotel that was cheap in every sort of way.  It was probably the worst night of sleep I’ve had in a long time.  The next morning Balin quickly booked a new hotel and we both were grateful for the small luxury of a nice bed.  


                                                            

Balin and Perrin taking the dog for a walk

Piper in the dorms being snuggled by a student.


Tuesday we hung out with Perrin going out to brunch, getting coffee in her dorm room (she’s got a sick coffee set up) and pretty much just chillin’.  For dinner Perrin invited her fellow RA’s out to pizza with us, which was super fun to hang out with everybody.  The next morning we headed to breakfast and then the airport to pick up Sam.  It was SO good to see him!  He was tan and sporting facial hair.  He left a kid and came back a man somehow.  I think having Sam around for Thanksgiving was one of my favorite parts of the weekend.  He was really delightful.

Wednesday night the rest of my family showed up - that is my mom, her friend Mary Lou, sister Sue and Sophie.  We had a home cooked meal at our Airbnb and got the privilege  of watching an hour of Sam’s videos from his travels.  Let’s just say I’m looking forward to the edited finished product.  

Thursday we headed to the beach for some Bocce Ball and hanging out in the sun - may this become a new tradition!  It was really great just to play, hang out and enjoy one another.  We had dinner reservations at the Del on Coronado at 3 so we returned to the house, freshened up and arrived in Coronado hungry and ready to participate in the turkey.  We were not disappointed.  It was a beautiful array of delicious food and we got the added pleasure of sitting in the garden where we chatted and ate for a couple of hours.  The evening finished with games and dessert.  

Friday Sue suggested we rent paddle boats on the Bay and it was delightful.  The weather was perfect for a boat ride and even Piper got to go.  We met up with mom and Marylou for a food tour of San Diego’s gaslight district.  It was fun to walk just 4 blocks and try lots of different foods.  Heading home stuffed, we (okay maybe it was just me) wasn’t so excited for the ice cream cake we got to celebrate mom’s birthday, but we enjoyed it nonetheless, even after I accidentally dropped it on the floor.  A couple of weeks prior Sue had sent out an invitation to a TON of people to send a video to mom wishing her a happy birthday.  80 people responded and it was a great 30 minute expression of how loved my mom is.  Pretty cool.

Saturday everyone but the Strickler’s headed home.  Balin took the opportunity to take Perrin on a breakfast date, and I did the same with Sam.  We switched up kids and Perrin and I did a little Christmas shopping in LaJolla.  That was expensive.  We finished our time together with some card games, good food and enjoying each others company.  

I have to say it was one of my favorite holidays yet!

Check out the video of the weekend: https://youtu.be/HhxVjenE_5o?si=dug6YMRCG7a5V6lA


Comments