Wow, what a couple of weeks! I’m writing from the cozy NoBo trailer, wrapped in my heated blanket, with soft music playing and my dog snuggled up next to me. Maybe I’m savoring this moment so much because it was a long road to get here. Let’s take a step back and reminisce about the journey that brought us to this point.
We were on the road to Bend, where we spent a week figuring out how we wanted our mid-life house to look. I’ve always been told I can make a house feel like home with decor and beautiful gardens. When I have walls, light, and ceilings to work with, I find the design process incredibly fulfilling and enjoyable. But the week in Bend was a bit different because the design process is all about ideas. It was a humbling and healthy experience. We began with flooring and bathroom tiles, and there were so many choices that my head started hurting within 20 minutes. And when there were questions to be answered, everyone looked to me. And I looked at Balin, who stepped in with a decision. I don’t know how long we were there, but it felt like eternity. Next cabinets, then fixtures and plumbing, then windows and doors, it just kept coming throughout the week. The hard part about all of this is you take a couple of pictures of what direction you want to go, of course the pictures are amazing and every one says we can do that, but they don’t tell you if they can do it within your stated budget.
Working with a lovely interior designer and the builder has been much easier, but as we were picking out all the beautiful finishes, there were NO PRICE TAGS on anything. No one knows how much everything is going to cost, let alone if it’s in budget. Of course I probably picked out the most expensive tiles, kitchen cabinets and faucets. Who wouldn’t. I have never done a remodel project blind like that. It’s always been with price and budget in the forefront of my mind. I felt very disoriented and I think it led to my feeling of being overwhelmed. I will say, if everything comes in budget, it will be a stunning house.
Comments