I just woke up from a yummy Sunday afternoon nap. I was reading a book by the food editor of Cottage Living, about her life in Provence, and I dozed off under my blankie. I awoke to Balin bringing me a Mojito and saying dinner is almost ready. Very, very nice.
The weekend in general was a very relaxing one. Friday we began with Sam and Perrin up at 5am and both were not feeling well. Sam ran a temperture of 100 while Perrin I think just played along. You see being sick in our house is something of a treat. You have to stay on the couch for most of the day, watch movies and drink Sprite and eat ice cream. (No wonder I like to have "sick days" from time to time.) Sam is the best patient ever. He gets quiet and just lays around, unlike his sister who likes to whine and complain with illness. So I pulled out the sewing machine and while the kids kicked back and hung out, I sewed slipcovers for my outdoor furniture.
I'm not the best sewer in the world. I have a tendency to say it's "good enough" when it's really not and I know it'll bug me later. But, I am getting better. I bought a book on French linens and projects to do and I got inspired. So the furniture covers are a rough cotton that looks like old french linen and I'm going to dress it up with flowery pillows. So far I have two pillows done and hopefully will get the other two done this week. I justify this project by the fact that Stretch chewed holes in every cushion I have for the outdoor furniture - it's cheaper than new furniture.
The day Friday ended with all the family watching Marley and Me with Jennifer Anniston and Owen Wilson and eating Breyer's ice cream. (chocolate chip mint is our current favorite) Perrin laughed so hard and poor Sam muddled through it still not feeling well. He didn't even eat all his ice cream. Poor little guy.
Saturday awoke with all of us feeling much better and well rested. It was a good thing because Mac and Moses got up really early - like 5 o'clock - so I took one for the team and took the dogs on a walk. I had to take them one at a time since the kids have lost or misplaced all the leashes, but that was okay as I think all the dogs enjoyed the individual attention. Mac was first, then Moses, then Stretch. When I took Mac for his walk we heard something rattling in the bushes, I started running and Mac was jumping up onto me. Nice protector Mac is. We found out later that it was a skunk that was hanging around as we passed by him on our way home.
I got a cleaning bug and vacuumed 2 years worth of spiders in the garage. I was lucky I didn't break the vacuum as I used the house vacuum which isn't meant for such massive loads. I also got around to mopping the floor - after what seemed like two years. I was going to put it off for another day as having the Hamman's dogs Moses and Mac made for 5 dogs in the house. But - when you've got the cleaning bug, you just can't stop. Thankfully Balin pitched in and we got everything cleaned and ready to go by 9am as we had a babysitter for a couple hours.
Balin and I tried again for the 3rd time to go riding but after a mile or so, Balin said his brakes were stuck on again and he just couldn't go any farther. Bummer. Unlike the last time we went biking, I decided to go home with him and then run into town for a cup of coffee. I didn't think it would be nice to leave him and continue biking on our date. But if that dang bike doesn't get fixed then I won't be so nice next time.
The rest of the afternoon I sewed, Balin worked on expanding our front porch and the kids just played around. Everyone was just happy to hang out and just be. That evening we capped it all off with going swimming at the YMCA. Sam went down the slide all by himself multiple times and Perrin swam with her eyes in the water. Balin watched the kids for 15 minutes while I swam laps, which I really like. Balin and I have found in the last 10 years that he is very structured and I am not so much, at least in terms of excercise. He likes to do it the same time, same place every day whereas I like to vary it up and do it by more what is available to me. I guess that comes with having children. You can't really plan things with kids. (Nice try at justification of your lack of 'structure'; comment by BS, yes those are my initials!!!!!). Yeah, anyway.
Today, Sunday, started off early with Balin making me a latte in bed and then making pancakes. It's the Strickler of Arizona tradition that the man makes food on Sunday - it's my day off. We headed to church, where we heard a great message. You can check it out at http://www.harvestprescott.org/ At church my friend Anna and I got into a good conversation that we found hard to stop. So much so Balin had to pull over on the way home so that I could get in Anna's car and finish our conversation. We got to Anna's house, picked up her daughter Faith and then headed back home. On the way we picked up Sophie and then headed to the Pumpkin Patch in Chino Valley. It was at Windmill Farms, which is a gorgeous venue, but the pumpkin part was kind of lame. Sam summed it up when he said, "That's it?" $40 later we headed home where the kids had just as much fun playing as they did at the farm.
Balin heads out to Columbia, South America on Tuesday. He is looking forward to this trip and is hoping that he gets more work out of the trip. Work has been a little skinny this past year, but it's been such a blessing to have Balin around all summer. We're praying for more work and soon. I've got some projects to do that require Balin's absence. :)
Best go as it's time for the kids to head to bed. I wouldn't want them to be tired tomorrow as Fall Break is over and school starts again tomorrow. Woohoo!
Comments