Sunday, a day of rest, which is exactly what today is. We’ve come over the mountain and through the hills to Murren for two nights. It’s lovely as I get to hang out with the kids, take a nap and not be “on”. Yesterday we took the group from high in the mountains at Obersteinberg, across more mountains and down into Murren. It was a delightful walk and though it has threatened to rain every day, we continue to walk in partially cloudy skies. Lovely.
The guests that we are guiding through the mountains are primarily in their late 40’s – 60’s and are a delightful group. I was hoping this would be the case and I’m not disappointed. We have engineers and lawyers, Buddists and Baptists, homemakers and PhD’s in Psychology – and you guessed it, I’ve gleened their life stories and wisdom in the first 5 days of the walk. Such interesting stories and lovely people.
I think if this job meant walking through the mountains year after year I would be less excited about it, but as it is I enjoy walking through breath taking scenery with people who are interesting and kind. Without the people, this job has little meaning – with the people it’s a blast. Already I have offers of nanny’s and places to stay all over – a benefit better than monetary tips.
Today I asked Sam and Nicolas if they would be interested in being tour guides for the day for one of our guests from California. Sam got his deep excited voice and was all about it. He gathered the appropriate supplies and made his pack ready to serve. We met up with our guest and Sam asked if he would like to go up the hill or take the vernacular. They asked what Sam would advise and he said, “I think we should hike up and take the vernacular down.” And so we did. Our guest got a chance to hike up the children’s adventure trail and ride the zip line, roll down the flowery hills and go through “the feet massage” which is a series of different sizes of rocks and water which you are supposed to go through bare footed. We ended the tour with a nice sack lunch, a little play time for the boys on the playground and a quick descent into Murren via the vernacular. Our tour guide was excellent and tired by the time we reached the apartment.
Tomorrow we head off to Seffinenfurgge pass to Griesalp, which is 4000’ up and 4000’ down followed by another pass the next day at 5000’ up and then 5k’ down. I don’t think all of our clients are inclined or able to do these passes so we’ll send one of the guides with them around the valley via train where they will have a much simpler day hike to reach our hotel. I’m looking forward to these days as I haven’t done these passes and need the experience.
The guests that we are guiding through the mountains are primarily in their late 40’s – 60’s and are a delightful group. I was hoping this would be the case and I’m not disappointed. We have engineers and lawyers, Buddists and Baptists, homemakers and PhD’s in Psychology – and you guessed it, I’ve gleened their life stories and wisdom in the first 5 days of the walk. Such interesting stories and lovely people.
I think if this job meant walking through the mountains year after year I would be less excited about it, but as it is I enjoy walking through breath taking scenery with people who are interesting and kind. Without the people, this job has little meaning – with the people it’s a blast. Already I have offers of nanny’s and places to stay all over – a benefit better than monetary tips.
Today I asked Sam and Nicolas if they would be interested in being tour guides for the day for one of our guests from California. Sam got his deep excited voice and was all about it. He gathered the appropriate supplies and made his pack ready to serve. We met up with our guest and Sam asked if he would like to go up the hill or take the vernacular. They asked what Sam would advise and he said, “I think we should hike up and take the vernacular down.” And so we did. Our guest got a chance to hike up the children’s adventure trail and ride the zip line, roll down the flowery hills and go through “the feet massage” which is a series of different sizes of rocks and water which you are supposed to go through bare footed. We ended the tour with a nice sack lunch, a little play time for the boys on the playground and a quick descent into Murren via the vernacular. Our tour guide was excellent and tired by the time we reached the apartment.
Tomorrow we head off to Seffinenfurgge pass to Griesalp, which is 4000’ up and 4000’ down followed by another pass the next day at 5000’ up and then 5k’ down. I don’t think all of our clients are inclined or able to do these passes so we’ll send one of the guides with them around the valley via train where they will have a much simpler day hike to reach our hotel. I’m looking forward to these days as I haven’t done these passes and need the experience.
Comments