A thousand lunges up and 2000 squats going down

Yesterday's was voted by Outside magazine as the best day of the best hike in the world.  I would have to agree. We went 17km and 4000' up and 4000' down yesterday into a beautiful valley surrounded by waterfalls.  We spent the night at a quiet inn in Griesalp and we awoken - I kid you not - at 5 am by cow bells.  At home I've got Yogi here I have cow bells. 

It was a good thing because we were on the trail by 8am and hiked today until 6pm.  My feet are throbbing while we speak.  Crossfit friends - I think I seriously did 5000' of lunges today.  It was gorgeous and I didn't know I could climb a hill so....slowly. :)  That I guess is the benefit of being the guide - you go the pace of the group.  Now let me clarify - the peeps I was walking with today are amazing!  Arlyn is 72 - yes that is his age - and his wife is 69 and they rocked the Hohturli pass.  We did it slowly but heck we did it.  It was very rewarding for everyone to participate in today's hike as it kicked our butts.  I did use a little crossfit technique today, which Arlyn and his wife Jan were thankful for.  We hiked for 2 minutes and then rested for 30 seconds...all the way up the hill.

On the way down Sharon and I discussed the tenants of the Buddhist faith and it's similarities and differences with other faiths, particularly the Christian faith.  It was a peaceful and delightful conversation and I have taken many things away from our time.  This is the part of the hikes I like, talking to people.  I was pondering that today in that the flowers in the fields come and go on these hikes but the interesting people will make an impression that will far outlive the transitory beauty of the flowers.  It's really true.  Granted, not everyone is as delightful to talk with...sometimes I'm reaching for ways to include people...especially at dinner.  It can be really awkward and annoying but for the majority it is a pleasure to engage them in conversation.

My feet are speaking louder to me than my thoughts currently so I must elevate them and give them priority.  I miss you all and please feel free to email me - I'd love to hear  how ya'll are doing.
(Sorry no pictures - the camera I brought weighs A TON and the internet connections here take FOREVER to download.  I add pictures at a later date!)

Comments