Colorado

We were booked, ready to go and then remembered that we needed to get a car for our trip to Colorado.  It was reported that Charlie had 16" of new snow at his house and it was cold.  Best get a 4WD vehicle so that we can go skiing, get to Charlie's house, not put chains on...so Balin made some calls.  Well, it's the most busiest time of the year...and there was only one 4WD vehicle available - for $1400.  YIKES!  Balin came in and told me and I literally started to cry.

Let me back up a moment and explain the tears - which I don't usually shed.  The past three months had been long, stressful and a bit overwhelming.  Balin had been working really hard and had been traveling a lot.  I had been working on the Juniper house diligently and needed to get it finished by the 3rd week in December.  The kids had lots of field trips, play dates and activities that required adult supervision and interaction.  We were consistently entertaining friends and strangers in our home weekly and participating in Young Life almost weekly.  Balin also needed to get into his office as the sewing room was not working anymore for his office.  I was feeling like not only was I too busy to enjoy the holidays, but I was missing my family.  The last time we had solo family time with just our family was in July, in Switzerland.
Now, don't get me wrong, we don't mind working hard and getting things done here in the Strickler family, but after a while one needs a rest, a Sabbath if you will.

I had booked the Denver trip thinking that it would be a great time for our family to get together and enjoy one another, hang out with Charlie, ski - have fun.  This was in September when I booked this trip - when it was 85 degrees, sunny and our life was not stressful at all.  Then the above happened and the closer and closer our trip to Denver got, the more and more I wanted to go to a beach and relax with my family.  I've found that when I'm tired and stressed I escape to warm places.  I picture myself sitting next to a beach or pool with a foo-foo drink in my hand and I am watching the kids frolic in the surf or playing in the pool.  So when Balin came in and said that just the car was going to be $1400, plus the cost of going skiing, plane tickets etc. I just started crying.  Yup.  I couldn't help but think that I could spend that money on a beautiful condo in Cozumel, on the beach.

But, I pulled myself together and started thinking.  "What if we drive to Colorado? Then we would have a 4WD vehicle and it wouldn't cost us anything."  So I threw the idea past Balin and he said sure - great idea.  The kids were game so I called Southwest Airlines, they gave us a credit for our airline tickets and we drove the next day (Christmas) to Evergreen, Colorado.

It was a great drive, the kids were great, conversation with Balin was good, his phone didn't ring once and we made good time.  So here we are hanging out in Evergreen Colorado where it's cold but beautiful.  Sam is outside building a snow cave, Perrin is in the bathtub playing with her new toys and Balin is working.  We're putting the kids in ski school for 2 hours later today and tomorrow.

The bonus of all this is the credit on the airline tickets.  I think we're going to redeem those to fly to Florida and take a long weekend to have some family time.  On the beach. With a drink.

Comments