Trip to Spokane Washington

Spokane.  I am sorry that I spoke poorly of you. I was a "know-it-all teenager" who actually didn't know much at all.  I've changed my ways dear, not-so-little town and I look back at my time with you with great fondness now.

There - I know you're reading this Aunt Do and Mom - I said it.  Spokane is a great BIG city and I mistreated it for too many years.  It doesn't have the glam and glitter of Bellevue but it's got charm, quaintness that is lacking in so many towns.

I realized this many years ago I think.  It might have been even while I was living in Bellevue as an adult.  The big city has a lot to offer but there is something so charming about a smaller town.

Now - let's get this straight.  Spokane is not a little town.  We were driving down I-90 from the airport and we got the first view of the city.  "We are NOT in Prescott anymore! This town is HUGE!"  My how perspective changes.  Prescott is tiny compared to my home town of Spokane.  Downtown Spokane has a Pottery Barn. That speaks for itself.

Like many of my other adventures, I planned a skiing vacation for our family in the middle of summer. Balin has a client in Spokane and has become very close to some of the guys that work there.  One of the guys that Balin particularly enjoys had casually mentioned to us that they would love to have us visit and go skiing with them in Idaho.  People really should be careful when they invite us places as we are more than likely going to show up.  And we did.

I planned the ski trip for March thinking that the sun would be out, we'd be skiing in shorts and t-shirts, much like the spring ski trips of my youth.  I forget that the Pacific Northwest is not Arizona and the sun does not shine as frequently.  But, I was prepared - for rain, snow, cold weather - bring it on.

I took a great attitude with me on this trip - it was a trip about people, not necessarily the place.  We were there to see and ski with friends and to visit my family.  Who cares what the weather is like if you're hanging out with people?
We may be in Phoenix's 80 weather, but Sam was ready to hit the slopes.



Our first stop in Spokane was right up to the South Hill.  We took the kids by my old house, school and stomping grounds.  The kids loved hearing about our adventures and seeing where they took place.  I told them that even though it was gray and not very pretty, soon flowers would be bursting and warm weather would make the South Hill come alive.  Perrin was so funny as she said, "Mom, stop talking about all the gardens or we're going to have to move here." She was sold.

Next we headed out to Mead where our hosts the Tunison's lived.  They had just purchased a house that has a guest cabin with a bunk room and another room with a queen bed.  It was lovely!  Then we meant their dog Brinkley - which was the next best thing to Yogi!  Brinkley's a Bernese Mountain Dog and as cute as they come.  He and I spent lots of time over the weekend snuggling and getting to know one another.
Skyla Tunison

Scott taking his turn with teaching Perrin.


Then...the pool.  The Tunison's have a very large indoor pool.  The kids and I had such a great time swimming and hanging out while their kids were at school.  The Tunison's were awesome to hang out with and Perrin adored the 9 & 11 year old Mia and Skyla.  Sam was adored by the 3 year old Oakley. Scott and Meigan were great hosts, even though Scott had just gotten home from a business trip upon our arrival.





Perrin was thinking the pool was AWESOME!


The next day Balin headed out to Crux's office to do a little work while the kids and I went swimming. By noon we were all in the car and heading to Schweitzer to where the Tunison's had a beautiful condo.  The drive was spectacular as we took the back roads for the hour and a half drive.  Balin and I both marveled at the abundance of water everywhere and the trees.

We spent Saturday and Sunday skiing, which was so much fun.  It brought back so many memories of my Saturdays spent on the mountain with friends and sometimes family. I was a little worried about getting into a pair of skis again, thinking that perhaps I wouldn't remember how to do it.  Alas, my worries were unfounded as I picked it up right where I left off.  The kids were both on skis and Balin chose to stick with the known snowboard.  Sam was pretty quick to pick up skiing again and was ready to hit the chair lift.  Perrin used up the better part of Saturday getting reacquainted with her 'fast sticks' and by Sunday she was going all the way to the top of the mountain with the rest of us and skiing quite quickly down the slopes.  Meagan was incredibly helpful to Perrin and her learning curve as she took her under her wing and helped her get comfortable on the skis.

After everyone had their fill of skiing Saturday we went to the sledding hill - which was AWESOME.  They gave you a sled and when you were at the bottom of the hill they hooked it up to a tow rope and gave you a ride back up the hill.  Talk about a good time!  And the sun was out which allowed us an almost perfect view of Lake Pend 'Oreille.   At that point Sam piped up and said, "We should move here mom!  I love snow and skiing!"






I would love to Sam and maybe one day we will.

While we were skiing on Saturday and waiting in the lift line on the bunny hill, I hear a women say, "Let this lady go first.....Hey Judy!" I turned around and looked at the woman talking and said, "Hey Krista!" It was my cousin that I grew up with in Spokane. Hah! It's not such a big world after all is it?  Her husband is a farmer in Wilbur, WA where she also is a middle school teacher.   They come up to Schweitzer every ski season and stay at her in-laws house on the lake.  It was great to see her and her family, which I haven't seen in a couple of years.


After our time with the Tunison's we headed to my Aunt's house, where we met up with another two cousins, uncle and family.  It was so nice to see everyone and I was very thankful that they all took the time to come over and say hi.  The highlight of hanging out with the family though was going to see my Grandmother, who is 103.  She lives down the street from my aunt in an great house with round the clock care.  We got Grandma out of bed but she didn't seem to mind.  She was perky and funny, telling stories about my mom when she was young.  Her memory isn't very good, as one would expect, so she kept having to ask who we were and where we were from.  She asked Sam and Perrin what grade they were in about 5 times, but it was so sweet how the kids just answered her and spoke loud and clear so she could hear them.  I'm sure Grandma didn't remember our visit after we had departed, but I don't mind.  I have so many wonderful memories with Grandma, from huckleberry picking, going on walks, bringing boyfriends over for her to meet, that I don't mind if her memories are gone.  I have enough for both of us.

It was a great trip with many memories made and the best of all the kids and I both agree, "We could live in Spokane."

Comments